Brake light

Asked by Sep 08, 2011 at 04:02 PM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

I just totaled  my 2008 Fusion and am getting my late husband's 69 Beetle up and running.  I was told the brakes are fine, however the brake light on the dash burns steadily. The wiring was just redone and they told me this light was for the motor (telling me that it was on) Not so, according to the owner's manual. Is there something I must check out immediately re. the brakes. (emergency has not worked for years) I live in the Ozarks and sure don't want to drive off a cliff!  Thanks for any and all info

655

On all later model cars (since 1967), each axle has its own hydraulic brake circuit. A dual-chamber master cylinder provides operating pressure to both brake circuits. In effect, this means that your brake foot is connected to two master cylinders (in one long piece), one for the front brakes and one for the rear. If either of them fails, the other will do the job for both. The system is designed so that leaks in one circuit cannot affect the other circuit. An electrical warning system in the master cylinder causes a red warning indicator in the instrument panel to right up if hydraulic pressure is too low in either brake circuit. If you see this light while you are driving, it is imperative that the brake system be given a thorough check, even though braking action may still seem completely satisfactory. Complete loss of pressure in one of the brake circuits will cause the pedal to fall closer to the floor during braking and will result in abnormally long stopping distances.