My headlights and dash lights won't work after replacing alternator and battery...why?

Asked by Dec 14, 2014 at 12:01 AM about the 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I replaced my alternator...twice after the first turned out to be bad. I also replaced the battery. The voltage gauge hovers on the border of red, and the batter terminals only register 11.5V when running. The headlights and dash lights won't turn on. The dome light probably doesn't work either, but it doesn't work when I open the front doors anyway. Any thoughts?

34,165

If you are only registering 11.5 volts then you got an other bad alternator. Start there.

Did you figure it out. I am currently having the same problem.

25

Have you checked the fuses that are under the dash? they may have gotten a power surge at some point depending on what precautions were taken, if that fuse is blown make sure the lights did not go with it.