Rust on the door hinges

75

Asked by Mar 19, 2008 at 12:59 PM about the 2007 Jeep Wrangler

I own a 2007 Wrangler Unlimited, it is my first Jeep ever, probably not my last.......
I noticed that there is some rust stain that appears coming from the hinges after only 15000 Miles. Is it normal ? I there something I can use to stop it ?

Thanks

40,285

It may be as simple as some dirt accumulating in the grease that is used on the hinges. I would suggest using WD-40 to spray the hinges a bit and see if that stops or removes the stain, for starters.

75

I'll give it a try.... I just though that since Jeep is pretty much the only vehicule around with hinges placed outside...... there may have been something else.....

Take it to the Stealer make them fix the problem, why should u have to screw with it.....

10

I have exactly the same problem. Stealer cleaned it and applied oil. Came back right away. Now a year later, when removing the doors for a nice weekend outing, the bolts broke off a the slightes force, more like a tug. Stealer is trying to pin the $400.00 repaire bill on me. I suspect the hinges are not designed for their use. Shame otherwise the ride has been nice

I had a similar problem with the bolts around the windshield. Took it to my dealer and now they are replacing all the bolts screws around the jeep. I think it is a manufature defect. wrong bolts, not preserved properly at factory, or not rust resistant bolts.

45

My hinges are rusting too on my 08. It's kind of annoying actually. As well as my muffler. It started rusting only after 5000KM. I need to look into warranty for it.

50

I have an 08 with the same issue. The dealer sent pictures to Chrysler and they agreed to replace every hinge on the car. According to all the forums and post I've seen, this is a very common defect. According to Chrysler, they can't justify a recall unless many more customers make a complaint. I called 1-877-426-5337 (1-877-IAM-JEEP) and they took good care of me. They also encourage anyone with this issue to speak up so this can be fixed permanently. The replacement hinges will most likely have the same issue eventually. Because they are aluminum and the pin is steel, oxidation is inevitable. To fix this for good, they need to find a permanent solution resulting in a recall.

I had the same problem (Wrangler 2008) on the hinges and WindShield pannels and the dealer is takingcare of it. They will remove and repaint all the hinges and shields. In general the Jeep has been fantastic and my dealer service thus far has been great. I'm waiting for the diesel version to buy a new one!!!!

10

I have an 07, I called Chryls and after taking it to the dealer. The paint is bubbling on the hinge (All 8 on the doors and the 2 on the hood) Chryls told me its not covered under the 5yr/100,000k corrosion warranty.....how did you get them to do the repair for free? please email me Toddcpacs@aol.com Tahnks

same issue with me, dealer has looked at it twice (I have an '07 and the hinges all started to corrode and paint fell off about a year ago). They say it is not covered, have taken pictures and basically blown off my complaints. The jeep is perfect except for this (and of course the muffler surface rust that we all have). How did you guys get them to repair?

I had a similar issue w/ my 2007 Jeep hinges. Called the 877# noted above. My rust/corrosion warranty expired 3 months ago, but the customer service person put in a request for the hinges to be repaired under warranty. He had to elevate that for approval and I will receive an answer by tomorrow as to whether the repair will be approved! Hopefully they will come through.

Please let me know how you made out with your claim. I have an 2007 with same issues. Dealer helped me out 2x but it needs it again. When I called they said it was a design flaw but not covered under warranty at this point. Too expensive of a vehicle to show rust like it does. Love it but cant stand the hinges rusting.

I have a 4 door 2010 jeep wrangler had the same issue my back drivers door hinges paint started coming off. I took it to get it fixed the company told me to complain to chrysler and my jeep dealership. They should fix it. Well, I took it back to Adams jeep where I purchased it they took pictures said they would contact chrysler.I contacted chrysler myself and expressed my disappointment and felt they should stand behind their product, because it was a defective metal and painters peeling off in large pieces. Well, going back and forth chryslervtalked to dealership and my claim was denied. I played out of pocket to have my 2 hinges replaced and painted by Rogers Customs and am very happy with their work...y only disappointment is that chrysler denied my claim in which cost $283.43 to fix, I have purchased 5 jeeps from chrysler and have never submitted a claim or ever complained.So, for chrysler to not value customers or the dealership to value customers is very disheartening to me. Adams jeep wherein purchased my jeep offered to fix it for a deductible and a discount but they only wanted to have their paint man to bandage it. Not to replace the hinges. I told them that I had an estimate for having the hinges replaced and painted.that's what I wanted to have it fixed right because I didn't want the same problem returning.JK Jeep Wrangler owner. So, in the end I paid out of my pocket to have my defective door hinges fix chrysler was no Help to me !!!Nor was the jeep Dealership....after speaking to dealership, They said your claim Denied no, reason why so, I emailed chrysler am still waiting for why they denied my claim.. Thank you for listening. Good luck if you have or experiencing the same problem.Shirl