Would this be a good first car for a teenager?

Asked by Mason Aug 25, 2013 at 07:54 PM about the 2007 Dodge Charger

I am a teenager coming upon the time in which I am able to get a car. I really want a dodge charger. Just wondering what people think about it being a first car? Let me know what you think. Thanks :)

37,105

Hmm? Let's see...A sporty, rear wheel drive car with with a 3.5 L V6 or 5.7 L V8 engine AND made by Dodge (not a very reliable brand, overall)? Even if you were an adult, I'd tell you to avoid this car, but being a teen makes matters worse (high insurance and poor reliability). Keep looking dude....

37,105

Very good article indeed, Tom. I was so focused on the Dodge being a bad choice that I didn't offer up any sensible choices. Excerpt from about article: Based on the IIHS guidelines and crash test results reported at www.iihs.org, late model cars that parents should consider include the Buick LeSabre, Chevrolet Lumina, Ford Taurus (or its twin, the Mercury Sable), Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy and Volkswagen Passat as well as others of similar size that come with modern safety equipment and have scored well in crash-test ratings. ====Mason...I'd VERY strongly suggest that you put a few more years of driving experience under your belt, focus on driving under various conditions and later you'll be much better equipped at handling something like a Dodge Charger (but again, I'd avoid that car...yes it's cheap to buy, but you'll regret all the time it spends at the mechanic making HIM money....Take it from someone who helped financed their mechanic's kids education with money I gave him to fix a '87 Pontiac Fiero!====

135

My daughter had one for several years and loved it, with no problems of any kind. Good mileage in 5.7 hemi, great performance, tight body, great seats, attractive car with good handling for a large car like that. We have a 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7 hemi and it has been a great, awesome car. Very fast and rides/handles great. Just don't get the SRT8 if you want decent gas mileage. The car does okay in mpg, but YOU won't because your foot will be glued to the floor to either FEEL the power or HEAR the power of the "big hemi". The SRT's are even more awesome than the small hemi cars, but alas, gas mileage and perfromance driving are mutually exclusive concepts.

1,225

2 door, big engine, RWD, horrible reliability and huge insurance premiums considering the age of the driver and the type of car. Lousy gas mileage. Let's see.... Ummmm Not really.

20

There's an AWD version, too, and the reviews out there are stellar about the handling and control. It's also a hugely popular car with fleets such as law enforcement which, if it were unreliable, wouldn't be the case. This car is not a Fiero. Most of us have elbows, opinions and navels. Probably not a bad idea to be informed about other people's navels before assuming the information you have about yours qualifies you as an expert.

20

I just bought the 3.6 l penstar sxt version. I'm no expert but from what I understand if law enforcement takes pride in these cars then so can we. With 290 hp and awd package it is sure to fit your performance needs. I get 26 mpg on the highway and 19 through city. Driving this thing is unreal especially if you live around snow. Give it a shot.

30

I love Chargers. But, as a teenager's first car....no way dude. Wait till your 30s when you have a boatload of driving experiences and the effects of testosterone are more manageable.

5

I looked at the same car...INSURANCE IS TERRIBLE GET SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!! ps I'm 26 with no tickets or so much as a warning...