will the door key from a 1983 dodge ramcharger work in the ignition of that vehicle? Not just FIT, but acutally start the truck?

Asked by Apr 11, 2013 at 03:10 PM about the 1983 Dodge Ramcharger

I have a 1983 dodge ramcharger. The keys are lost. I want to know if I can take the door lock to a locksmith and have a new key made which would work to start the truck.

You could give it a try. I don't know if your ignition key had a chip. Is there another lock cylinder that's easier to get to? Maybe the tail gate or glove box? Taking a door panel off is not fun and sometimes it's hard to get it the lock/latch back together correctly. --- I had a Jeep that my wife called on a locksmith to open. It was never the same after that.

could use glovebox lock I guess. The back hatch has a different lock/key, but I hope the door lock or glove box lock is the same as the ignition. I would just pull the ignition switch, but I have to take the whole steering column apart to get to that. Is it possible to just jam something into the ignition switch and force it to turn? would that allow the switch to to start the truck? I don't care about cosmetics...this is just a beater work truck.