1984 RamCharger Suburban...should fuel flow from tank to fuel pump without engine running? I can't seem to get any fuel up to the carb...or even into the fuel line to the carb. Tank is 1/4 full of fuel. Engine will start and run if I prime the carb, but when the prime runs out the engine quits. No sign of fuel in fuel line either before or after the fuel filter by the fuel pump.

Asked by Apr 18, 2013 at 05:16 PM about the 1984 Dodge Ramcharger

The truck ran when I parked it a little over a year ago. I can't figure out why I am not getting fuel...

There should be a lift pump in the tank, it may not be operating or the strainer in the tank is plugged up. You will need to pull out the sender unit to inspect. You also might have a lot of water in the tank.

Will I have to pull the fuel tank to do that, or is there some way to access the sending unit from inside the vehicle?