Why does our car smell like rotten eggs?

Asked by Oct 26, 2013 at 05:43 PM about the 1985 Dodge Omni

My husband drives a 1985 Dodge Omni.  All of a sudden this week, it smells like rotten
eggs.  I've tried to research this problem, but all I come up with is in regards to catalytic
converters.  This car is old enough it doesn't have one.  Can anyone tell us what's causing
this?

294,085

Post #2 will explain it vs me typing it all out....http://www.chargerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=106301

10

change the cat

79,275

My Parent's '81 Chevy Caprice used to do that. It was the catalytic converter. HTH. -Jim

805

Wow I surprised this thing is still on the road! Change the catalytic converter

1,195

My sympathy to your husband. If the cat is more expensive than the value of the car, I'd think of getting rid of it. My car stunk and it had nothing to do with a bad cat. I had one and hated every second behind the wheel. It was the worst car I've driven and unfortunately owned.

65

Your battery could be over charged by a faulty alternator/regulator. the smell could be coming directly from the battery but BEWARE if this is the problem, the battery could explode at any time when it is hot! Check the battery for over heating, it will be hot to the touch. Allow the car to cool off completely. Open the battery cells and check the water level.