The car dies at stop signs

Asked by Feb 21, 2008 at 10:30 PM about the 1987 Dodge Omni

The car will start and drive, but when stopping for a stop sign, you have to keep your foot on the brake and gas to keep it running.  Sometimes that doesn't work.

6,975

Early 80's up to mid 90's GM cars had this, If you disconnected the Torque conveter lock-up the problem went away. I dont know if this is the problem in your case, you might want to ask your mechanic if it is. if not you will want to get this looked at, not only is it annoying, but it could also be a saftey issue (if your car stalls when you need to "move" it could be a real issue). Best of luck.

43,935

I don't believe the Omni had a TCC Lockup solenoid, but I could be wrong. I have seen this happen when an alternator is going bad, and also when there is a problem with idle speed. Need to have this diagnosed to figure it out for sure.

35

The 1987 Never had the locking torque converter, that was done on the 90. I've got both. Does it do it every time, or does it stop when it's warmed up?

35

Its probably got to do with the TPS and IAS which control decel and idle is the power limited light on? code retrieval can be found here: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/fault/index.html

10

I'm pretty sure that this problem can be attributed to the Distance Speed Sensor. I posted this Web page in 1997: http://www.usefulbulk.com/ss/sensor.html