w/ an airhog inb it ran awesome and no turbo hestation but after awhile it started running hot...I read elsewhere that it might be a head gasket...but not sure something shut wate

Asked by Nov 15, 2011 at 10:25 PM about the 1989 Dodge Daytona

89 Daytona shelby Turbo...,147,00 miiles...ran strong and very fast...scary fast...

75

Check you thermostat and check to see if you fan is working by unplugging the coolant temp sensor (on the thermostat housing it's a 2 wire plug) while the engine is running the fan should come on.

When I wire the fan to the battery it works, replaced hoses, thermostat, pressure cap on radiator and the temp sensor on the side of the head...the fan should only come on when the car reaches a cetain temp, right?...a guy was going to but pulled cap on the timing belt cover and said he could repair it right there...could the timing belt make out of sinc enough to make it hot...it only did it on the open road not in traffic?

75

Yeah a skipped timing belt can cause a temp increase but usually you would loose performance as well.

95

My fan didn't work when I got my 91 daytona I had it wired on a toggle switch untill I got a fan relay it is in a black box on the drivers side replace the relay and your fan shuld came on when it reaches a certain temp the relay only costs about 10 dollors I hope this helps you out.

95

My fan didn't work when I got my 91 daytona I had it wired on a toggle switch untill I got a fan relay it is in a black box on the drivers side replace the relay and your fan shuld came on when it reaches a certain temp the relay only costs about 10 dollors I hope this helps you out.I'd also recomend a failsafe themostat even if they fail they stay in the open position keeping your car from overheating.