What year did Mercedes start using a computer system?

Asked by Sep 18, 2007 at 11:50 AM about the 1990 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class

This isn't actually about a particular model. I just want to find out when Mercedes started using computer systems. I'm trying to find an older used model without any fancy gadgets that my husband can tinker with as he pleases, and I need to know how far back I'll have to go to find one he can work on. Thanks!  

Lisa
lisablink@yahoo.com

40,965

Well, most manufacturers have been using computers in some form since the 1980's. I would probably go back to a late 1970's model if you wanted something computer-free. That said, I don't think your husband would have any problem working on even early 1990s models, as the computer systems have progressed a lot since the early days. A 1970's Mercedes diesel might also provide an interesting project and one that he could convert to biofuel if he wanted to. These are typically cheap and fairly available. I have seen several here in PA in the past year for $1500-2000.