Mercedes C180 Sport Coupe 2004

30

Asked by Jul 08, 2015 at 09:50 AM about the 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Hi,

I have a problem with my C180 sport coupe. I dont know if its a mechanical fault or
something to do with the settings of the car as I don't have the car manual and cant
figure it out.
When I turn off the key and immediately start again, it will refuse to start the car or it
will start but turn off quickly. I have to turn off the key completely, remove the key and
start again. Then only it will start. Normally it starts fine with the clanking sound and all
that and it never has problems starting after I lock the car, but if I am waiting in the
car/ do not turn off the key fully, it refuses to start.

Can some one help me out please as I havent owned a mercedes before and dont
know how to solve this problem? Or is this how merceded work? That you have to fully
turn off the key, remove it and then restart?

Thanks

26,105

It could be the battery in the key is going bad or the ignition itself. Replace the battery in the key and see if that fixes the problem.

23,505

So you should know, first time Merc owner, that a Mercedes is an expensive car- you will need an expensive Mercedes mechanic- make him your friend-

30

Thanks Michael? Changed the batteries in the key but still same! Mind you it's starts well if I turn the key fully back and remove it! Can it the the ignition switch?

30

Jamnblues thanks for being honest but that does not solve any problem for me! Couple of people I know have Mercs and they say they are very reliable and don't break easily! The car drives and handles well but am getting annoyed by this small twick!

30

Guys it was dirt/dust that was blocking the infrared signals. Yesterday it refused to turn at all. A friend of mine suggested it was the key. I tapped the edge of the Key and tried it again and it worked. Then I looked it up on YouTube and found at its a common problem with Mercedes keys particularly when the buttons are broken. Dust gets in there and interferes with the signals. I was shocked to see the amount of dust I removed from there. That's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OneaTnfoz0

30

26,105

Good deal, my next suggestion was to clean and check the ignition. These cars arent bad to work on, if you take them to a mercedes dealer they can be very exspensive to repair. But there are plenty of parts online at dealer pricing. Glad you got fixed.

30

Yeah, they are good cars if you maintain and take care of them well. Anyway Michael thanks for your reply and feedback. Bingo for now!

Air conditioning always separates and does not work and when reprogrammed back to work again, why?