no power to injectors

Asked by Jun 09, 2010 at 08:13 PM about the 1992 Volvo 740

it will start with brake cleaner squirted into throttle body.it has fuel to the rail.
one day i parked it 2 days later no start.found no power to injectors?

4,745

First thing you want to do is replace/repair the fuel pump relay. There are two relays inside the actual relay box and they are soldered to a circuit board. The solder joints crack with age. If you are handy with a soldering iron the relay pack is very easy to fix. Here is a link for the location of the relay http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/ElectricalCircuitsRelays.html#RelayLocations If the relay does not solve the problem, your ECU is bad. The ECU is located on the passenger side kick panel (where your feet are, on your right while sitting) Remove the panel and look at the label on the computer. Pink label computers have the highest failure rate at this age. I purchase these often from my local salvage yard for around $40. Let me know if you need any help. If needed I can see if the local salvage yard has any computers or relays and we can work something out. -Chris-

40

Dont jump to ecu it is actually the noise suppression relay under the hood on top of coolant reservoir that powers the injectors it works in conjunction with your power stage amplifier to pulse and power your injectors so check the relay behind ashtray the fuel injection relay and then check the noise suppression relay under the hood . also make sure your power stage amplifier on the drivers side fender under the hood is good also.

May be a failed sensor in distributor, resulting in NO timing pulse to Ignition Computer, which means no firing of the Fuel System relay, which powers fuel pumps and ignition. Happened twice to us in high miler 740 turbos. Part used to be available from Volvo for under $60; pull distributor, drill out old sensor, install new, drill small hole in mounting rivet, expand with a punch or chisel.