No Fuel

225

Asked by May 20, 2010 at 08:05 PM about the 1985 Volvo 740

I am stumped with a 1985 Volvo 740 GLE that I am working on.  The car has the 2.3L 4 cyl engine, and is not getting fuel.  the fuel pumps (in tank and in-line); the fuel pressure regulator (on the end of the injector rail); and the fuel pump relay have all been replaced, as well as the fuel filter.  the car still seems to not be getting fuel.  Can someone please offer some advice!!!  I don't think i overlooked anything, but will happily answer any further questions that may help me get this thing running again!!!

9,395

Is the fuel pumps getting power when the key is on? If not, i would look for fuselinks for the possibility of a blown link preventing power making it to the pumps. Also, have you checked for power coming out of the fuel pump relay? Possibility exists for a blown fuse or bad relay (new does not mean good). Other then that, knowing what you have changed, the PCM may be faulty, but I would check the cheaper stuff out first. If it is getting power, then I would check the line for clogs.. Disconnect both end and blow it out.. Although extremely uncommon... I have seen it be an issue.

4,275

First thing you want to do is replace/repair the fuel pump/fuel injection relay. There are two relays inside the actual relay box and they are soldered to a circuit board. The solder joints crack with age. If you are handy with a soldering iron the relay pack is very easy to fix. Here is a link for the location of the relay http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/ElectricalCircuitsRelays.html#RelayLocations If the relay does not solve the problem, your ECU is bad. The ECU is located on the passenger side kick panel (where your feet are, on your right while sitting) Remove the panel and look at the label on the computer. Pink label computers have the highest failure rate at this age. I purchase these often from my local salvage yard for around $40. Let me know if you need any help. If needed I can see if the local salvage yard has any computers or relays and we can work something out. -Chris-

605

Christopher hit it Right on the proverbial Nail-Head!..I read what you have replaced, and -Turn your attention, now, to the relay pack..It sounds like a "cold solder issue"..or- like He mentioned,,The "pink" ECU..I loved my old 740 GLE, and had this problem a time or two,during the 7 years I owned her..

40

My vovlo is doing dame vut i am getting fuel to rods but not thruttle body can someone hrlp

Just fyi, I was stumped for about 2 weeks when my Stella wouldnt start. I am by all means not a mechanic but i can read and read is what i did, ALOT. Replaced EVERYTHING til i reached this little boxy thing on the inside front left fender behind the blinker...Ignition Control Module! Now that little baby isn't cheap, but it brought instant life back into my baby so definitely worth it. Plus, I'm learning so much!