1997 Rialta (basically a Eurovan) does not start.

Asked by Apr 16, 2013 at 09:36 AM about the 1997 Volkswagen EuroVan

New battery.  Just drove it a week ago with no issues.  Instruments, fan, lights, etc. all look normal.  Battery seems ok.  No clicking sounds.  It does not even try to turn over.

97,165

Test the small wire on the starter. It should have 12 volts with the key in the "Start" position.

35

Your ignition switch is probably bad, very common. The electrical portion on the back of the ignition lock cylinder.

Had similar thing happen to me but, with my (no longer) '97 Pontiac Bonneville SSE. Came home from work, parked it for an hour, went out to leave and wouldn't turn over! Nothing! Broken head gasket leaked coolant into the cylinders for a "Hydraulic Lock" on the engine. Luckily the extended warranty covered the fix!