disconnect an alarm on a 98 cabrio

Asked by Jun 14, 2007 at 04:45 PM about the 1998 Volkswagen Cabrio

Every time i try to start my 98 vw cabrio the alarm sounds.  How do i disconnect it?

24,300

Hi geri! The alarm in your car is designed not to be easily disconnected. It is rooted in several systems to be effective as a theft deterrent. You will need to enlist the help of a dealer to do it without disabling your car. Good luck!

Thanks Lou for your quick response! geri

425

to disable the alarm, get outside the car, put your key in the door, and turn counter clockwise. it should then shut off

140

GO TO http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/campingart/jettatech/index.htm then look under "alarm help" This dan guy is a VW GURU took me 15 minutes and have not been sorry to remove alarm forever. cool part is alarm light still blinks and windows still work from key.

"to disable the alarm, get outside the car, put your key in the door, and turn counter clockwise. it should then shut off " Very good tip...Worked perfectly!!! Thanks for saving me from my wife's panicking!!!!

150

My 98 cabrio won't start :(... turn key and lights come on, but wont start.. new starter 250.00 bucks, still " nothing" sucks guess ill junk it

I bought a 95 vw cabrio,the guy lost the keys to the car and decided to take the plug from the switch and cross jump it,aftrr i purchasrd the car i wanted to fix a skip i the engine and place plug back and crank it with screwdriver. I replaced the ignition because it was turning over,but no fire. I figure i nerd to disable the alarm better then turning key backwards. Is it switch,security system,or tje new coil is deffictive?

Tony id bet it's your ignition coil. Super easy and inexpensive fix. Remember Jettas, Cabrios and i beleive gti's have interchangable parts. I have a 97 Cabrio Convertible and the same thing happened. I got a used Jetta ignition coil at a used auto parts store for $24 and it took barely 10 minutes to swap out and car started right up and has ran since perfectly... This was almost a year ago. Best of luck but worth a shot!

I have a 97 cabrio, also with the same anti theft problem, I tried the key thing, and now my door is completely locked down and now I have to get in from the passenger side, is it possible I turned the key the wrong way, or is my theft system just going haywire?