regarding lemon,? 2006 subaru that needs head gasket .

50

Asked by Dec 22, 2015 at 06:40 PM about the 2006 Subaru Legacy

i tried to demand money back ..dealer flat out refuses....says he ll have head
gasket  valves  crankshaft  pins bolts,  ? timing belt replaced...does this make
sense..he will not give my money back  ..had car two weeks!  im sick ...and
feeling veerrrry stupid...seemed like a great c,ar..runs wonderfully!  what do i
know,   ? trusted a da*%& used car4 salesman....but i shdnnt be out 8 grand!

242,255

2006? The lemon law doesn't apply to used cars. So you bought a used car, probably with a limited warranty. I can see why they won't take it back. Head gaskets are a known issue in a Subaru with mileage on them. So is the dealer fixing it for free, or charging you?

50

charging me parts..no labor.... still pricey ..i m apprehensive ...and now stuck w no car ..says it takes few days...engine has to come out..?

50

btw ..only had car for 2 weeks...ive been complaining of HOT smell from day one.... addressed my concerns with dealer and salesmen..and mechanic,..all blew me off..so now i find out i was correct in my suspicions..i feel cheatedq

50

i guess the question now is..with these parts replaced...am i good to go for another 50k miles..car has 77k miles on it now......everyone swears they're great cars..im not a believer now! thanks for all your input. ..appreciate it.

50

my advice, take what they offer.. cause if you signed the "AS IS" form.. you have no legal grounds for anything from the dealer. there is no lemon law that applies to used cars. As much as it sucks, getting a little bit from them is better than nothing at all

50

no i didnt sign as is ... i took warranty 1000k or 3 months ....my point was car was bad and he knew it...oh well..your right i learned a very HAAARD lesson..thank yoy

50

you! anybody interested in buying a 2006 subaru legacy.special edition..77k miles....lol! seriously ill give all recpts from this head gasket job....!

4,580

Calm down! Seems like this motor started leaking oil from the right head on the exhaust, simply asphyxiating you and yours. Parts are a deuce, plus a deuce max for a good machine shop to test/prep the heads. The labor's the biggee at 8-10 hours. You got out cheap IF a solid repair was well done on BOTH heads. Note to others: if your '00-'09 2.5i is starting to bleed oil try using only 10w40 year round. You may stem the leak enough to be able to live with it...depending upon time and temperature and luck.

5

I replied on your other question Effulgent. Engine rebuild and turbo rebuild/replacement at 105k, you'll have a great car for a long time.

50

well guys...i was disgusted...26 days with NO car....the mechanic up and left the dealership ! haha.. go figure. i threatened lawsuit...and i got my money back. yay! problem now is..we have no car..:( back lookin at leasing an impreza...any thoughts? remember we dont have much $$$ hence...plz dont suggest more expensive cars..they re just not an option..my son is 18 yrs old..and we re not wealthy! hard core hard working peeps here..! thanks for any advice.

4,580

What State are you in? (DISCLAIMER: I buy, certify and resell pre-owned Subies...but only: '07-'09 OBs, '08-13 Imps and '10-13 Legacys. NO Foresters and certainly no '10+ OBs because of compromised handling.) You didn't state whether your Legacy was a sedan, wagon or OB. But since it's NOT a smaller Imp I'd be careful in choosing an Imp if the much smaller rear seat and increased highway noise level is oppressive. Note that all 2006-2009 2.5i are the same: prone to HG faiilure, but otherwise bulletproof (unless turbocharged). If an Imp is ok jump to at least '08 to get a decent ride and rear seat. It'll be quick, fun, and thirsty (for its size). I'd recommend a modern ('12+) Imp or ('10+) Legacy Sedan for frugality of its CVT, but these may be out of your price range, I suspect. 2006-2009 Legacy SEDANS often fall through the cracks but can be VERY satisfying to own. Here in Beantown the call for the sedans is so low that I only chase the bigger, much more eco '10+ version.... 2006-2007 Legacy SE WAGONS can be great all-purpose 5 doors, and usually cheaper than their uplifted OB sisters. The SE sports the requisite nice power driver's seat and alloys, and an unimportant moonroof, but ignore the stripped Legacy BASIC (both wagon and sedan). Call me anytime if you want a close consult that respects your price range. Cheers. Ern 781 483-3922

50

well..thanks for all that info..wow! it WAS an 06 legacy sedan..special edition..77k miles ...we loved it...drove great...thats why we bought it! but 26 days in shop....c'mon ! money demanded back nd returned. we.re afraid to try another UsED vehicle..thats potentially been sittin...or that will need HG job..just not willing to invest ..unless car had low miles nd it was cheap cheap cheap! and...a great mechanic who knows what hes doing repairs it! hence..we.re lookin at leasing instead!

4,580

Ok. If leasing a new one is in the cards there are only a few Subarus I'd recommend. The logical choice for you is a '16 Legacy Premium Sedan. It should be about the same cost as an Impreza 5 door hatch, but the Leg will be VASTLY quieter, peppier, and equally good handling in the twisties. Given that the Imp's 2.0CVT only gets about 10-12% better eco than the much nicer 2.5i CVT, the Legacy is an obvious choice. Don't get confused by sill Imp CrossTrek's, Foresters nor of course the OB SUV. I wish folks would wake up to the Legacy Sedans, as they're clearly extraordinary values.... EVERYTHIN about it will impress you, and you'll have NO regrets coming out of the '06 SE. Do NOT fall for the stripped "basic" version, however, as the compromised seat, tires/wheels and other omissions will annoy you pretty quickly. Get the Prem or even the Ltd if cost-effective. Also, do NOT get the 3.6H, as the 2.5i mates with the CVT and chassis perfectly. Good luck.

50

wow thanks soooo much for that advice...now ..my only concern is i read about recall on 16 legacy for leaking gas tanks or something..? the saleman at dealer said he wasnt aware..! really?? it wasnt hard to find online..! ha so do u know anything about this? and now im not sure i want these dealership? saleman to sell me a car....hmmmm

50

and we.re gettin hit with our first blizzard of the season...im not happy i dont have my car...it would've been perfect testing grounds to see if these subarus are all that they say! sadly stranded in south Jersey :(

4,580

Eff, We're getting only about 3" here in Beantown, but you're gonna get whacked. Sorry. I wouldn't worry about a new leaking gas tank, as obviously Subaru will jump on that under warranty. probably a stupid evap hose clamp or something. I'm not sure if the '15-16 Legacy is appreciably better than the '10-14, but if it has a higher percentage of stronger and lighter steels then maybe it'll last longer? But looking under the hood reveals LESS front corner structural strength...maybe it still crashes nicely, protecting occupants,,,but very sacrificially? That might be annoying in moderate fender-benders. Regardless, a new Leg Prem should make you happy...especially if you can finagle 17" alloys. Grease that shovel! Ern

50

haha thanks! thanks to snow.. i wont be making it to dealership today..but i was concerned.. feel more confident now about my decision...appreciate all help! (u sure u dont work for subaru? lol) and....the shovels are ready ..but i'm not...haha need my DD coffee and it wouldve been fun ride in my subaru to get it...too far to walk....:( i ll have to settle for 7-11instead ..its around the corner :)