subaru legacy 2006 is it a lemon? or worth fixing...think i got a raw deal

50

Asked by Dec 22, 2015 at 09:14 AM about the 2006 Subaru Legacy

just purchased used 2006 subaru legacy from used car dealer for my son...one
prob after another..discouraged..disappointed...just found out from diff dealer
(subaru) that it needs head gasket nd covers.., timing belt..@ a $2300 job..im
pissed nd want my money back..only had car 2 weeks..kept complaining to
dealer i smelled something "hot" mechanic there dismissed my concerns. oh
and airbag light on dash wont go off...told them about that too..they said its
minor..they ll fix it..ha!  help!

71,365

Not worth fixing at all, demand your money back. Sold to you under false pretenses.

50

thanks ..i tried ....dealer refuses to give my money back im furious of course.... now he says he ll fix head gasket valve covers timing belt pins bolts.., still dont trust him ..says its a great car..subaru known for these problems..not his fault....ugh do i have any recourse,

71,365

I read your other post, what would be wrong with letting them fix it, at no charge? Afterword you could sell it or trade somewhere else and find something else.

50

oh yes..yes..i agree..but its not free of charge..q its 50 % ...saying its a 2k job..chgn me 1000 ..,,,? still not sure...

50

i know its a big job...i m tempted to agree and let them fix it ..im just upset...i m sure he knew this problem was evident before selling.... just feeling so cheated...thanks for input. i suppose i have no choice right now..i need a car...:(

5

Usually what happens though is the car is a daily driver and these building issues are delayed due to constant use. Then they get traded in and sit in several different lots for weeks or months. The issues then rear their ugly heads. For a test drive no problem, but go from constant use to rarely, then suddenly constant again and that's where these big time issues come from. The thing to do whenver buying a car is find a dedicated forum for you make at least and hopefully model, like this http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13. To answer your questions, I'd let them fix it. The Legacy GTs need an engine rebuild and turbo replacement/rebuild at around 105k miles. So once you get it done you can be confident you have a reliable vehicle for another 105k.

50

i appreciate your repsonse..however...car was in shop for 26 days.! we neeeed a car...and i found out the mechanic up and quit..sooo i got my money back... yay! but we really wanted the car. so now we re on the hunt again and fearful of used vehicles! we.re lookin to lease an impreza...at a loss where else to go. we want reliable..dependable...awd...and subaru seemed like most in our price range for lease option..any thoughts on that car? hate the mileage restriction... but what choice do i have...very disgusted here!

71,365

I say best know what you are getting into, on a lease don't you have to fix what-ever go's wrong with it? Then you are in the same boat. If you are to lease best know that the vehicle brand has a good track record. Do some research on something you are interested in before getting into it.

50

yes yes i am...thats why im here asking questions lol the lease is great because its covered ....everything is covered im not even responsible for oil changes. all work covered except wear of brakes i believe...so yes i am researching for sure. and i like the idea of monthly pymnts now...ill never give all my money up front again....until i see the product is worth it. thanks for ur response