so I need to know how to read the code? my car is an eighty eight Oldsmobile

Asked by Jun 15, 2012 at 05:31 PM about the 1998 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

The car stalls out at red lights but recently the engine light came on and it sputtered but kept going not wanting to
tear up anything can anyone tell me what I should check first?

261,255

You need an OBDii code reader. You can find one for $30-$50, for the basic ones on up. Most big chain automotive parts stores like Autozone will read the codes for free. Post back here what it is and we'll help you diagnose the problem.

Take out your mass air flow sensor. Air filter side b 4 the throttle body. Hell take em all out and clean them. And on the exhaust side too.sensor for air fuel ratio. Replace your pcv.valve.. Its 5.00 and over looked but helps air flow out of clogged it will cause oil consumption. I loaded a pic for you of m.a.f sensor cleaner. I clean all my sensors 2 times a year. I had your problems few years my 1998 88 only has 111000 to date. 92,000 when your problems came to me. Hot summer days. You have 8 sensors and or seloinoids on top side take them out spray them with electrical cleaner same shelf as the m a f cleaner.. It makes life a lot easier I have had 3 3.8 liter engines. They are working horses I don't care for the series 3 as much. Not put together as well due weight reduction for mpg and lighter engine more power. In theory. ..cost reduction.. My first car as a 16 year old was a Buick Park Avenue series 1 3.8 L and when I got rid of it had three hundred forty thousand miles on it as a 16 17 18 year old driving now the Transmissions kind of suck so read your owner's manual and I'll make sure you stay out of overdrive in town cuz it'll burn it up Overtime use OverDrive for 55 miles an hour and over but my series 2 in a Monte Carlo had two hundred sixty thousand miles on it and it ran like a raped ape so they're great engines keep that oil changed check your coolant clean the sensors change your plugs at a hundred thousand miles put new wires on it and use OEM plugs they're more expensive but they're hundred thousand mile plugs and little things like that your fuel filters keep toes clean All These Little Things and depending on where you live that engine will Outlast the chassis of the car and there is a a problem with the valve cover leaking on the back side by the firewall keep an eye on that I had to replace mine at 55,000 miles 2 months after I bought a car but other than that it's been a great car it's not my daily driver it's just a cruiser and I love it good luck I hope this helps you

And it's always tricky with those check engine lights if it's a dirty part the life will go on and off sometimes and you can only get in error code if the light is on so you got to be like Johnny on the spot or you can try canceling it out and see if it comes back Star Trek Klingon that mass air flow sensor clean out your throttle body air filter and all that check for debris on the screen where your where your duck goes from your filter to the body there's a little screen in there check for debris is fixed all my problems I didn't replace any parts