We have a 1999 Eighty Eight Oldsmobile and we are hearing noises that sound like metal on metal sound. My husband has done alot to it and it sounds awful when you drive it .

10

Asked by Jul 06, 2014 at 03:40 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight

My husband has replaced the lifters and push rod and he has changed the oil in it and has
put a lot of money into it so far. It wouldn't go up our hill in fact was loosing power. Would
you possibly know what this could be caused from?

109,815

If noise sounds like its in the top of engine(lifter/push rod/rocker arm areas) might want to double check your work. If it sounds like its in the bottom you might have another issue going on.

10

Can pistons make this noise if its in the bottem area? What other things could it be if its in the bottem? Thank you so much for your help dandyoun!!

109,815

Possibly a spun rod bearing. It would sound like someone knocking on a metal door trying to get in. It would increase and decrease with the engine rpms.

109,815

But honestly if it was not making this same noise before the other work was done I would sure be tempted to double check the torque on the rocker arms.

109,815

If one was left loose it would surely make a metal to metal noise.