My 02 XType doednt calculate gas mileage or distance correctly anymore and the gas mileage is half of wjat it was before i took it in for a wheel bearing replacement...What is wrong?

Asked by Dec 16, 2012 at 05:48 AM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE

I sove the car on a bad bearing for a couple months... trust me I wouldn't of had I had the money for repare. I
had the wheel bearing replaced three days ago now the car gets the worste gas mileage ove overseen and the
computer doesn't seem to calculating correctly. In the "range" setting it could say I have 36 miles to go. As I drive
the "range" will go down to 2 miles to go, however, the odometer says I went 18 miles all the while the "average
mpg says that I'm getting 16.4 mpg all downtown driving. This doesn't make sense to me and $10.00 of gas
@$3.25 should get me more than 20 miles. Despite what the computer says now I used to get 14 mpg, or so in
town. Is there anything a person could do to effect performance without griping the service light on the dash?

232,335

Did you reset the MPG setting after you got the repair? If you let it go for a long period of time, it will calculate over many miles. Reset it and see what you get.

Thank you, I did that and now it saying I get 18.6 MPG in town and burned a quarter tank according to the gauge. I forgot to count the miles, however, a problem I see immediately is the transmission doesn't shift up into OD while cruising at 40-50. Even while I'm accelerating easily to reach the speed of 40-50 MPH and the transmission will.not let go of fourth while maintaining 2200P

Thank you, I did that and now it saying I get 18.6 MPG in town and burned a quarter tank according to the gauge. I forgot to count the miles, however, a problem I see immediately is the transmission doesn't shift up into OD while cruising at 40-50. Even while I'm accelerating easily to reach the speed of 40-50 MPH and the transmission will.not let go of fourth while maintaining 2200 ROMs. Normally while cruising at that speed on level flat surface the car will up shift, now it runs in higher RPM before it shifts up and burning up my money. The computer and the odometer have to different calculations.