I have and 04' jaguar Xtype that will not move when put in reverse or drive?

Asked by Aug 01, 2014 at 11:20 AM about the 2004 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

04' jaguar Xtype that will not move
when put in reverse or drive, was
jerking a little in the winter but has
been jerking very hard since the heat
of summer, when I turn the car on
everything sounds fine until I try and
shift I hear a loud noise maybe a
chain in the motor loose but I know
the car should still move. Took to me
transmissions three months ago and
he told me my transmission was fine.
What else could it be? I haven't
check the trans fluid in a while could
that be the problem?

Have you checked the senors? my car had the same jerking problem and it was all due to an input and output sensor that was not working correctly

I had and O2 sensor changed a couple of months ago so I don't that is the problem

Step #1 is to check the level of the transmission fluid. Read the section in your Owner's Manual regarding the location of the trans dipstick and the exact procedure for checking. More than likely, you will find that the fluid level is low. If that is the case, replenish it with the correct type--also detailed in the Owner's Manual. If you are able to drive the car after replenishing the fluid, then you need to take it to an independent transmission shop a.s.a.p., in order to find out where the fluid leaked, and to have the leak repaired. While it is at the shop, have the fluid and filter replaced, if that has not been done in the past 3 years/30k miles. Whatever you do, do NOT go to AAMCO, Lee Myles, Cottman, Mr. Transmission, or any other chain operation unless you want to be told that you need a new/overhauled transmission--whether you really do or not. An indy shop is more likely to give you an honest diagnosis, a fair price, and good workmanship My dad advice, he's a mechanic

Ok I'll try that today thanks

Also if you go to a new place to get it looks at have them look at the Senors, they might have installed them wrong or they have ended up being cheap and are giving you more problems them you need, doesn't hurt to get someone else to look at it just in case

You won't find a dipstick on your X-type. The level can be checked but it is not a simple DIY. If you see any fluid leaking under the car (may not drip to the ground so look around under there) then maybe having you good local Indy Jaguar shop fill the box to the appropriate level will help. Make sure the shop you use has a history with X-types. They are not your run-of-the-mill Jag.

I tried that and adding fluid it move a little and made a loud noise like it was locking up . Turns out the transmission is gone. It's real bad I'm in the process of getting a used one put in it only has 94,000 miles on it for like 450 so I guess that's good

i have a jag x-type2004 model which cant go on reverse it feels like its neutral. other gears are working pretty well. any advice?

pretty sure its your reverse band slipped out of place or broken