my buick century keep rolling while in park why?

10

Asked by Aug 05, 2013 at 01:27 PM about the 2001 Buick Century

Even though the car is in park it doesn't brake and rolls. We have to put the emergency brake on. What is going on?

the parking pawl is not engaging...I'd look at the linkage to the shifter to make sure that it is engaging fully...you could look at the transmission mounts too for splitting and changing the geometry there~

You should ALWAYS use your parking brake...if you don't it is clear that you never drive a stickshift car~

10

Its an automatic genius!

not sure if you're being SARCASTIC...but I'll take an "MARK helpful"s I can gather...."best answer" would be better but remains to be seen if this isn't a linkage problem...2001...yes they still used a mechanical link....and YES links can get out of adjustment...and yes parking pawl stops CAN get chewed off too~

my '61 Plymouth was also an automatic~ had no PARK, but the parking brake (inconveniently located on the driveshaft) had to be engaged....my lever was all brutalized and made each and every stop a chore~ Do NOT be LAZY...this is what has caused the problem...I'm NOT a genious, but my MINI will roll on it's engine mounts and parking pawl if it is not used...granted it is right in the middle between the passenger and driver and intuitive to use...but you've got the left pedal...is it so much trouble to be kind to your drivetrain?~