transmission for t bird 1963

Asked by Oct 07, 2013 at 03:47 AM about the 1963 Ford Thunderbird

I have a t bird 63 and there is something not good with the transmission he is shifting in the 2e gear when drive 35 miles and these is the last time thats it shifting when drive faster engine goes in high speed and dont shift anymore what is wrong in the transmission ?

35

If it's an automatic I would say it's your clutch packs.

5,245

Sounds like a modulator valve to me. Will it shift if you let up off the gas pedal and then step down on it as though using a clutch?

1,355

The first thing to check is the kick down rod from the carburetor to the transmission. The upper end clips onto a stud on the throttle linkage, and the nylon can get brittle and break. Make sure it is firmly connected there. Check the lower end where it snaps on to the linkage on the transmission. It can fall off if you catch it on anything. Once you know it is firmly attached at both ends, make sure it is adjusted correctly. The adjustment is done at the carburetor, and should have the kick down fully engaged at wide open throttle.