1962 T-Bird want start

Asked by Jul 05, 2013 at 09:39 AM about the 1962 Ford Thunderbird

i have a 1962 T-Bird and when I bought it for $850.00 I was told it ran last sep and that it needed a battery silinolde sorry miss spell but and a starter I put these in but it will click but will not turn over I have been told it maybe a ground by many people but im not sure that's it I have no meter to do test

112,325

Could be a ground issue. Check all battery connections positive and negative. Make sure all are clean and tight. Also check negative cable where it attaches to frame and motor block.

112,325

If using typical old style ford solenoid make sure it is bolted tightly to the frame or fender well. I believe that it needs a good ground(negative) connection to in order to operate properly.

112,325

Also. I know better than to say this but here it goes. If solenoid is one of those with the two large nuts on the top -- with key in on position you can use a screwdriver to jump power across the two nuts-- if nothing happens you probably have either a low voltage issue or a problem with one of the positive connections-- if it does turn over by doing this you probably have an ignition switch issue or a negative(ground) connection issue. Use caution not to let screwdriver touch anything but the two large nuts.

dandy I use channellock pliers to jump my 1978..... 390engine truck, sparks fly and that can be dangerous ..the battery emits hydrogen and kaboom......bolted to fenderwell

Jump from the SIDE to SIDE, the copper studs not the small studs, the ones on the side carry the amperage, the smaller ones are from the ignition switch

But whoa...if it clicks then it is probably battery....unless when you jump it like I said and it starts. The click means it IS making contact inside, have your battery tested or get a jump and see what happens, if it starts with a jump it's NOT the solenoid. You can even, using a jumper vehicle, ground the two cars together frame to frame then take one hot from good jumper to the jumpee (is that a word)? right to the starter lug. Please don't run over your self

112,325

That's what I get for trying to use my memory of how they look instead of looking for a photo. Screw driver method will not work on that type. Have used jumper cables to jump across that type before tho. Thanks for putting me back on the right track David. DavidH25 to my rescue again.

112,325

Check wire connections at solenoid. This may help with that. On your solenoid you have two large post one has a large wire going to the battery and some small wires going to any ign items that need constant 12 volts.(this post should show 12 volts at all times as long as battery is hooked up). The other large post goes to the starter( should only be one large wire hooked up and will only show 12 volts while key is in the start position). The I terminal on solenoid should have a small wire hooked to it going to the + terminal of your coil. The S terminal should only have one small wire hooked to it going to the ign . (It should only show 12 volts when key is in start position). Hope this helps. Also in sure that solenoid is bolted down properly.

125

I have a set of cables with a switch for "Bumping" the engine. It will work on the copper lugs.

5,245

My 65 had a very similar problem. I knew my battery was 8 years old so I didn't even check it, just bought a new one. Still would only click! Knowing the cables were original, I bought new cables and replaced them. Thats when I found the ground (Negitive) cable was only making contact with 2 little wires in the whole cable. I guess 48 years of vibration and weather took the toll. When the new cables were connected, it fired right up. (I had tried most of what has been suggested above so I know how frustating this is.)

I had that problem with my 71 Ford F100,It turm ned out to be a defective afgtermarket starter relay(solenoid)Advise; check for power on the starter connection while someone holds the ign key in the start position.Brian Jourdan,Detroit