I am trying to start a 1955 t-bird after 34yrs of sitting. I have primed the oil, removed distributor, turned oil pump counter clockwise, new oil, fixed many of the electrical ends, new coil, point etc, gas filter, severed fuel pump to gas can, new fuel pump, water pump, rebuilt alt, new water pump, starter works perfect had it check out. I have turned on ignition key and nothing, I do get voltage to Starter relay from key however the relay already shows voltage at the key stud? I should have voltage their till the key is turned on----must be a stuck Relay? I can jump the starter from the relay key to negative and get the motor to crank.

Asked by Jul 02, 2012 at 10:17 AM about the 1955 Ford Thunderbird

Starting in 1955,all fords went to negative ground,as opposed to the positive-ground systems,of 1954..Make sure your battery,is installed correctly(easy mistake,I"ve done it myself!) you should have voltage,to the "I" terminal,of your solenoid,ONLY when,the key is turned on,and voltage,to the "S" terminal,when the key,is in the Start-position..Your engine,should crank ONLY when,you jump the "S" terminal,to the "HOT" side of the solenoid.. The fact,that you can ground the s terminal,and make it crank,concerns me-This should-not happen!!

20

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird (Automatic Transmission) needs to be shifted into Neutral to Start the car. I just bought the car and have not spoken to anyone about whether this is normal or not.

I know this is an old thread, but didn't want anyone to get confused. Rabbit is incorrect. 1955 Ford Thunderbirds were POSITIVE ground 6V system.