My 73 starts to spit & stutter when going over 50 mph, it almost shuts down and backfires a litte. Runs fine under 50 mph. Help?

Asked by Dec 09, 2006 at 02:04 PM about the 1973 Chevrolet Corvette

I just bought this car. I got on the freeway and it started to spit & stutter, and just stopped running. I would pull over and it would start right up and as soon as I hit abput 50 mph the same thing. I changed the fuel filter which was old & dirty, and the air filter which was the same. Sprayed the carb with carb cleaner & tried it again. It runs great under 50 mph but doesn't want to keep running past that.
Thanks in advance.

The most common reason for sputtering or backfiring is spark plug wires shorting out, electrical wire shorting out, or water in the fuel tank. http://ezinearticles.com/?Does-Your-Car-Engine-Backfire?&id=2855 That webpage should help you in trying to diagnose the problem.

This could well be your fuel pump. If the pump is starting to fail, it will not deliver enout fuel at sustained higher speeds - and the car behaves as if out of gas (the engine is effectively running out of gas) - but runs normally otherwise. The fuel pump's performance can be evaluated by measuring its output/time - but you'll have to locate the acceptable spec.

did u change filter in carb try that big joe from pitts

fuel pump or filter by carb or maybe carb float level to low or bad coil