1981 Corvette Question: AM/FM Radio w/8track Installation HELP!!!!!!

Asked by Sep 26, 2007 at 05:25 PM about the 1981 Chevrolet Corvette

I have a AM/FM Radio 8 track that I have tried to have installed by a dealership and a local radio/stereo store but the installer at the Stereo store said that it needed a bracket built so the weight of it didnt eventually break the molding of where the radio sticks out.  It is a heavy radio but stock nontheless that came from a 1981 Vette..OEM part# UM4.  It appears that it has slots on the radio in the back to support the rear weight but I can see nothing that it attaches to in the car.  PLEASE!! I am new to the Corvette world and just want the radio installed without having to go get something fabricated seeing that it came out without a fabricated bracket...can anyone help me or send me to a site that would give me blueprints of how the radio is suppose to be installed and what necessary parts I may or may not be missing....HELP!!! ANYONE!!  Corvette Gurus use your magic..somebody!!

Thanks

2,835

Well, my old Chevys from the Sixties had small support brackets bolted to the back for the heavy radios. Contact Davie's Corvettes in New Port Richey, Fl.

1981 Vette didnt have a OEM bracket that was built for this car. Just trying to find out how it was originally installed. Thanks

81 sounds a little new for 8 track thought went out with the 70s ah the good old days if you could only find 70s 8 track. got lost for a minuit .now back to ouesyion at hand.by owning a 71 and 73 vett,all you need to do is slide raido backin may have yo bend 2 hole braces are at front bend out ward not to far slide raido in bend both hole brackets back volum and station tuner go in the holes should be 2 skinny bolts and 2 washersput these on each knob washer firstthen bolts ,this is what holds raido in placethen snap on faceplateand push tuner nobs in place but first look on back willonly go on one way looks like a u.important first thing plug in wires and antina first.