CORVETTE COOLING FAN RELAY SWITCH QUESTION

285

Asked by Jan 09, 2016 at 06:25 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette

My cooling fan does not come on all the time.  In fact, it comes on intermittently for some reason.  I shook the wire and it came on and now it doesn't want to come on.    The fan used to come on as soon as I start the ignition and start my engine up.   I believe I had it bypassed years ago to do this to keep the fan running as soon as I start the engine up....   My question is:  Can I just bypass the cooling fan relay switch or do I have to have this switch for some reason?   What I just did is  I unplugged the cooling fan relay switch...and removed it... Is this okay?  This way it will ensure that my engine does NOT overheat and will always stay cool under 200..  Any suggestions, please.   Thank you

130

The fans should stay off until you hit a certain temperature. More vital in winter. Put a toggle switch on it so you can turn it on and off as u please.

285

Thanks Nightlights127 for your answer. Just so you know; I live in South Florida so it's always HOT here so that's why I want my fan to go on. No winter here at all..... Our days in the winter are 78 degrees and sometimes 65 at night, but then back to 80 degrees again for the daytime.......What is the relay switch for? Does it kick on at 190 and then kick it off below 180?

130

Exactly what it does. You can run the fans all the time not gonna hurt. Just gonna stay cool. I'm moving where its warm...

Best Answer
285

Thanks again, Nighlights127. I am going to just bypass the whole cooling relay switch altogether, and just run it right to my ignition and this way I don't have to do a toggle switch at my battery and always remember or forget to turn it on or off.. lol Just got to check the wires here and there to make sure they're not getting too hot in my opinion........... Don't want to get the temp over 200.... Supposed to be running 180 - 190 at stop lights or trains, etc....

130

Put a fuse link in with a ten amp fuse pop the fuse not cook the wires

285

It's good to be an electrician too! Thanks!

46,235

Cheri, it may be appropriate to closely examine the wires and particularly the connections for the fan and it's controller. There may be corrosion causing a high resistance connection that is making the fan intermittent. High current connections that are not clean and tight will cause similar issues.

285

I shake the wire and the fan comes in. Do you think it's the relay switch?

46,235

Could be the relay or more than likely a burned connection.