diesel swaps

15

Asked by Oct 23, 2008 at 06:46 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet Blazer

any recommendations for a diesel swap in an 85' k5 blazer?

205

Yes ....call Gail Banks .... Get the number from www.gailbanksracing.com

175

First of all get rid of the 6.2ltr diesel and atleast get the 6.5ltr turbo diesel or if your good put a 5.9ltr cummins diesel in takes a few mods to do but it can be done

1,175

1st of all, as he put it... putting a newer common rail diesel in an 85 k5 will take a WHOLE donor vehicle, you need the complete electrics out of what ever the engine came out of, including the dash etc... your best bet would be to slap a 6.2 turbo in it, crank up the fule a little, get around 200-250 hp, and bolt right up to your factory tranny. all you would need is the diesel fuel pump

2,040

There may be a better route than the one you're considering. The military had a tactical fleet of Chevy Full Sized Blazers as their utility vehicle from around 1984 until they were replaced by the HUMMER. All were diesel powered. With a little research, you should be able to locate one rather inexpensively at a government auction site. Place a bid and see what happens. Those have been sold for as little as $100.00 if that was the BEST BID! Much cheaper and less headach than what you're considering. If that doesn't work out, search the boneyards for wrecked GM vehicles that has compatable powerplant and computer in a diesel configuration.

15

Thanks much man, I was considering the 6.2 swap as I had heard it was much easier, such as bolting to the transmission and using the same engine mounts.

15

Thanks for all the tips, much appreciated.

275

i would recommend a modern day duramax because they dont stink or make noise, and go with the allision tranny, i work in a tranny shop and we STILL havent worked on a allision except for a corroded wire and it went rolling down the road, the only thing you'll haev to do is buy an engine mount adapter that will make it so the engine will bolt into your old ones, its worth the money, i plan on doing the conversion to my 1976 impala i need more torque then a gas job and its better on fuel... hope this was helpful

15

Much appreciated. What I'm thinking about doing when I have the extra time and money is looking for a really cheap salvaged gm duramax so i can scavenge all the electrical parts and what not.

275

yeah i have a body shop looking for one that got totalled but still has a good engine and tranny with someone who doesnt wanna fix it, that would be a score, even if i have to buy the wiring harness..

2,975

if you going to go with a diesel engine the only engine that will last forever is the 5.9 cummins

2,040

The only problem with your suggestion is the expense. By the time he finished paying for the necessary components and related labor, he'd come out cheaper just buying another vehicle that's already configurated to his needs.

2,040

and management system.

275

yes this is true.. i have never really figured in the labor and stuff because i get shop discounts and do all the labor myself.. i have always had my own opinion that if i enjoy my vehicle and it is in good shape underneath around the frame and all and i am comfortable with it that it could be worth any amount of money.. to a certain extent