1978 Toyota corolla heads

Asked by Feb 23, 2014 at 01:45 AM about the 1978 Toyota Corolla

Anyone know the steps on how to
replace the head on a 1978 Toyota
corolla, I've seen a couple of videos
on line but nothing really specific
about this car, pleas help!!

No offense Wsalaiza, if you don't know how you are better off paying a mechanic. There is a lot of things to do, you can get a book, a good one like Motor or Chiltons, and if you don't have a full, complete tool set don't even try. The tools required will cost as much as a shop doing it....but then you will at least have the tools now. A quality torque wrench alone is $70, and the gasket set another $100 for a good set, yep there are cheaper sets available but they are inferior gaskets and probably incomplete for the job. And don't forget the Band-Aids for your knuckles...they will take a beating . A 1.6 Liter, right? 1978--- It has a carburetor so that is actually to your advantage. I have done this job several times on the 1.6 and not meaning to discourage you it's not as easy as pie. If you do decide to tackle this you will end up with bolts, brackets, unidentifiable little parts left over that you will never figure out where they were...but on that one not to worry. Happened to me everytime with no ill effects. Best of luck.

Thanks for answering, but it is true, its not an easy job, but after doing ALOT OF RESEARCH, I got all the gaskets, cleaned every piece of the engine, bought water pump, alternator, filters, hoses, cables, timing chain, I got the head cleaned, resurfaced , and pressure checked, sand blasted a lot of parts, luckily for me I work for a sheet metal company, so I have a lot of tools at my disposal! it hasn't been easy but what I did was I took a lot of pictures of everything I was taking off, I also recorded with my Gopro some of the process , labeled hoses and I put bolts inside zip lock backs with labels, so hopefully when I am ready to put together I wont have such a hard time!!