1978 Toyota Corolla

Asked by Mar 25, 2013 at 05:25 PM about the 1978 Toyota Corolla

I have a 1978 Toyota Corolla 2TC engine with 4 speed manuel transmission.  Car has run great until recently when both charge light and brake light came on at the same time.  Also the choke mechanism started to malfunction and car would not come of choke.  Alternator is working properly and all fuses are in order.  I have checked for possible shorts but cannot find any.  Can you help?

94,965

There must be a fault in the charge circuit somewhere, Toyotas of that generation turned on both the alt and brake light when a charge failure was detected. Dig a little deeper. If I remember my older Toyotas I believe that yours has an external voltage regulator, might check that too.

Best Answer

Did everything you suggested, still can't find the source of the problem. Any other suggestions?

94,965

The choke is powered by the Alternators Stator power if it isn't there then the problem has to be somewhere in the wiring as you stated that the alternator tested good. Was the Alternator tested on the car or off?