where is the fuel fiter located on 87 4 runner

Asked by Feb 27, 2017 at 06:49 PM about the 1987 Toyota 4Runner

Location of Fuel Filter in 87 22RE? - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest. Black can in center.

Some have a small panel in the pass. side front wheel well that unbolts for a little easier access. Make sure to loosen the line fittings before unbolting the filter if possible.

Here is a quote from another post. "I pulled one of the fusible links in the engine bay while the engine was running to kill the motor and get most of the fuel out of the system. Then I put the fusible link back. For these wondering: On the passenger wheel well, there is a small metal flap that has 4 12mm (?) bolts that hold it in place. Once you remove this, you are stairing right at the oil filter (nice to know for next time!). To the left of the oil filter, about 10-12 inches, is the starter (I think), bolted to the engine block. BEHIND the starter (between the block and the starter) is the fulet pump, also bolted to the block. Getting the IN/OUT lines off was no issue - 17mm (?) bolts on each end of the filter (with some rags for the spilled gas) did the trick. Then there were 2 bolts (13mm (?)) holding the filter to the block. Once the lines were disconnected, and the 2 block bolts removed, it just slides right out. Putting it back is another story. The FSM states that you coat everthing with a dollup of engine oil and replace the gaskets on the filter (mine didn't have any in the new box, so I used the old ones - they looked in good enough shape.). You're supposed to hand tighten the hoses/bolts, then bolt the filter to the block.. After that, use a torque wrench to tighten both hose bolts to 22 lb/ft. How one gets a torque wrench in there is beyond me. I tried for about 20 minutes before giving up and using my small socket wrench - I guessed on the torque. After that, put it all back together, start it up and watch it for leaks for a few minutes. I removed the passeger wheel to get better access.