1953 Chevy Belair - Hard to start when motor Is Hot

20

Asked by Mar 13, 2007 at 10:38 PM about the 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air

My 1953 Chevy Belair Is hard to start when the motor Is hot. I have to wait until the motor cools down a little before the car starts. When the engine is cold the car starts right up, thanks to tropikalpirate advice to rebuild the carburetor. Now the only  problem Is that the car won't start when motor Is hot. Did anyone ever come across this problem before or does anyone have any advice.

15,130

Dear JohnnysBelair-- I say your problem is electrical,starting with wiring, spark plugs,battery cable, alternator and on down the list. If you can't do it, have a good pro take a look. Good luck fom BOVAN.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Dear Chevy Owner: Depending on the year of the engine that is in your vehicle, you may be experiencing a famed fault in the Chevy starter motor. The starter motor has the starter solenoid piggy backed on it too close to the exuast manifold, especially if your engine has upgraded dual exaust pipes that run very close to the starter.Once the pipes heat up, the solenoid and it's poor tolerance to heat siezes up and the starter will either not even rotate, but wil usually wind at a very slow speed, not fast enough to start the engine.If it continues do the one thing Ford did right ...relocate an exernal starter solenoid. Cheers.

20

Thank buddy. I have a 1947 plymouth now powered by chevy. I had that problem with the starter getting to hot from the headers. I put a mini starter in and the car starts when the motor is hot.

20

Thanks buddy I have a 1947 plymouth now. I had that problem. The starter was located to close to the headers. When the motor was hot the starter would not function properly. ( Car wouldn't start.) I would have to wait for motor to cool before I could start car.) I replaced the starter with a mini starter and that took care of the problem. Cheers.

your starter is going bad or the timeing is set to high.

depends if it makes a struggling sound as ugh----ugh-----ugh starter probs.If it spins fairly fast and goes r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r- you may have the valves set to tight . in trying to quiet the valves on these engines many people minimize the valve clearance or if you set the valve clearance with the engine cold . Std trans. cars had solid lifters and if set to close they keep the exhaust valves from closing causing a loss of compression when hot.