1953 Chevrolet Belair

20

Asked by Mar 31, 2007 at 09:43 PM about the 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air

The hood on my 1953 Chevy Belair will not stay closed. While I'm driving 40- 50 MPH the wind seems to bring the rear of the hood up first then It seems to rise from the back, and then the front of the hood raises where the latch Is located. The latch dosen't unlatch completely. The latch stays caught but the hood has that up and down movement in It. I replaced the hood springs and  the hood stays open fine now. I start out closing the hood and It shuts fine. I don't know why the hood is rising from the wind. Anyone have any Ideas.
   Thanks, John  

305

if it does not latch completly try the hood bumpers if your car has them the bumpers could be out to much causing the hood to stay up enough to not allow the latch to hook

Best Answer

Hello JohnnysBelair, I read about your problem but I have a question: I also have a Bel air 1953 but mine hood pop-up spring is broken.....do have an address where they sell those spring? You can mail me: bel.air.53@telenet.be Thanks Johan Veldmans

20

I don't have the Belair anymore. I can't remember off hand where I purchased them. Do a search for 53 Belair hood springs, or Belair parts. I'm sure they will show up. I had the mechanics shop install them. I remember them saying how hard it was to stretch the springs and connect them.

11,305

The springs like me, get tired with age. Springs can be replaced, my wife said I can't. Love her. That has been a common problem since the 50s with the springs breaking or it is not adjusted correctly. The hood closed should have a very little if any movement when you push down on the front. If the back is coming up, it is the air pressure building up under the car. The rear springs on the hood brackets may bee tired also and not keeping the proper tension, they open up and pull the front latch out of the locking bracket. Common problem on all the older cars, and now that they are old and the springs are worn, it is a good idea to replace them if you can. Old springs are not made with the same material as new springs of today re, and they do not keep their tension as well.