Hard To Start 1953 Chevy Belair

20

Asked by Feb 03, 2007 at 09:16 PM about the 1953 Chevrolet Bel Air

I Just purchased a 1953 Chevy Belair. It's hard to start when the engine Is cold. The carbureter shoots a flame out of It. (carbureter spits.)  It will start after trying a few times. Once the engine Is warm I can shut the engine off and restart the car. The car will start right up. The choke valve closes all the way when the engine Is cold and you tap the accelator pedal, and choke valve opens all the way when engine warms up. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.  

7,805

Go to this link to learn more about the choke valve: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_valve Basically, gasoline does not evaporate in a cold engine so the amount of fuel/energy produced for your car to start depends on the engine being warm. The engine gets warm from combustion or burning so in order to fix this problem you have to get the carbureter to work more smoothly.

Best Answer
20

I think tropikalpirate gave me the best answer. Now how do I adward two carma points to him.