1990 Toyota 4 runner making awful frontend noise sounds like rubbing, grinding. Stops when I brake.

25

Asked by Dec 04, 2007 at 12:51 PM about the 1990 Toyota 4Runner

About a week ago my 4 runner started making rubbing grinding sounds coming from the front. It makes the vehicle vibrate. When I start slowing down and brake the sound goes away. It does not make this noise all of the time when driving. It mostly makes this noise when I go 20mph to 30mph. If I go over 50mph and am on the highway it stops. If I hit a bump it makes the noise. I have had 3 mechanics check it out no one knows what it is. Please help. It is also worse since it has got below freezing. I dont know if that might have something to do with it or not. I first thought it might be brakes or wheel barrings but cant pinpoint anything. I would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

40,875

One possibility is the brake fluid being old, and having taken on water, which silicone brake fluid does. After only two years as much as 50% of the brake fluid can be water. What this would cause is the potential for the calipers not to release as quickly, and allow the pads to drag on the rotor and cause a grinding sound. Freezing temps would affect this making the brake fluid, which normally does not freeze, move more slowly since it is mostly water.

25

Will this make the vehicle not stop. I am a mother of two children and I dont want to put them in danger by driving if this is serious. Is there anything I can do to unfreeze it? Thanks for your info.