Random idle, engine dies

Asked by Nov 24, 2008 at 08:50 PM about the 1991 Toyota Previa

My wife's Previa has recently started acting up. It idles up (usually at a stop) then acts like it want to stall when leaving a stop. Ocasionally it will stall. I'm thinking it's the Mass Air Flow or TPS. I really don't want to take it to be checked out and I don't want to just throw parts at it. Anyone have any opinions?

75

did it stall a lot? felt like you were choking it when you pressed the gas pedal. also like it was chugging hesitating to accelerate when gas pedal pressed. mine had this problem i changed the fuel filter and there was no fuel pressure (there should be a steady slow flow of gasoline coming out of the line) the fuel pump was the problem. The fuel pump is in the gas tank, you have to remove the tank. you can easily do it with a jack and 2 jack stands. I did it on the side of the road when I broke down on my road trip from Boston to Florida.

160

check air filter, spark plugs, dist cap, rotor and timing.

check throtle body may be sticking or worn or badley dirty may need take off soaked in cleaner that was my problem If it has'nt been cleaned this may be the problem this was mine build up behind throttle good luck.

thanks, will check all, problem is my mechanic/ partner.He doesn't like to work on the Previa but does nut and bolt restorations on Porsches, MGs ,Jags,etc, . All I want is 300K out of my '97 Previa and its at 255k

Clean the throttle body and it will be fine