I have a 1991 toyota xtracab and as of a few months ago my truck engine will shut off sometimes when I come to a complete stop or if I am not moving and turning my steering wheel.

Asked by Ken Jan 15, 2012 at 04:00 PM about the 1991 Toyota Pickup

I have a 1991 toyota xtracab and as of a few months ago my truck engine will shut
off sometimes when I come to a complete stop or if I am stationary and turning my
steering wheel. I had my auto shop check out the idle valve twice and they said it was
fine. Any ideas?

875

check the charging system if it is running at the proper voltage, and charging itself at the proper rate then i'd check the torque converter for a malfunction. when the converter expiriences a lock up malfunction it will have a similar sounding effect to how you describe.