I have an 89' Toyota pickup, its a 5-speed manual with a V6. The other morning when I went to start it, it wouldn't start, after getting my Fiance to come give me a push down the driveay it started right up and didn't do it again the whole day. Today as I was driving down my road it just cut off and wouldn't start back up. What could be the issue?

Asked by Jun 29, 2016 at 04:16 PM about the 1989 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr Deluxe V6 Standard Cab LB

I have an 89' Toyota pickup, its a 5-speed manual with a V6. The other
morning when I went to start it, it wouldn't start, after getting my Fiance to
come give me a push down the driveway it started right up and didn't do it
again the whole day. Today as I was driving down my road it just cut off and
I didn't try roll starting it because I was alone and had no help. What could
be the issue?

5,165

89 would check the amount of slack in the timing chain~ and replace tensioner shoe, sprockets and chain~

5,165

the distributor is driven off of this chain....slack chain = retarded spark...I knew that is was time for a tow when the distributor stopped turning~ and was a pretty big job, replacing the headgasket seals sprockets and tensioner...but can be done...if the mileage is such that it's time a long time ago~