here is a wierd one

Asked by Feb 08, 2015 at 07:32 PM about the 2000 Toyota Tacoma

2000 Tacoma 4X4 quad cab v6, automatic tranny.
When my left turn signal is on, the rpms run away when I give it the gas, either passing or turning left from a stop. This does not happen when in 1st or second, but only in drive.

I don't know what my turn signal has to do with my transmission!?, I can only assume that there is some kind of electronic transmission control that is being interfered with when the left turn signal is on.

A few other symptoms are:
1: left turn signal flashes really fast, but the bulb is flashing front and rear, so a bulb is not out.

2: When applying the brakes, the left arrow on the dash lights dimly.

3: The tranny runs away also when the flashers are on, even when the left signal is not on.

44,425

Couple of questions: Have you owned this for a long time or did you recently purchase truck? When you say RPM's run away, do you mean they go way up, or do you lose RPM's?

44,425

It may be your power steering pressure switch that is bad. I think you have noticed it on left turns. I don't think your turn signal has anything to do with it. Read this link. Go to the bottom where it says symptoms. http://www.ehow.com/info_8748803_power-steering-pressure-switch- do.html

Had the truck for 6 or 7 years . What I mean is that the tranny acts like it is slipping or going into neutral so the RPMs are going up when I give it the gas because there is no load on the tranny. .

Well, I have experimented many times and the left turn signal being on is a definite issue. Go down the road...hit the left turn signal and the engine revs, left turn signal off and revs go away.

44,425

Try pulling the fuse to the blinkers. Hit the blinker. If no increase, I would start following the left blinker wire. It may have fused itself to another wire.

When this first started, I noticed a jerking when turning left and thought maybe a ball joint or something, buy later noticed everything works fine when the left signal is not used.

I noticed in the electrical schematics that there is a transmission control module. Perhaps there is a short somewhere or ground in the left blinker circuit that is effecting then TCM. Will try pulling the blinker fuse and see what happens.

44,425

So when you make a left sharp turn with no blinker, there is no increase or decrease in the RPM's?

44,425

Keep me posted....this is a good one!

Right, no issues when turning left with left blinker or hazards off....weird huh?

44,425

Very weird......

20

Did you ever find the answer to this? I am having a similar problem with my 2004 Tacoma Prerunner. When cruising on the highway in overdrive, if I use my turn signal, it seems my transmission drops out of overdrive and the rpms jump to the click of the turn signal.

This thread is old but I just had and resolved the same problem on my 2003 4runner. Left rear reverse light was poorly grounded(loose??) . seriously. that was it. Same exact symptoms as the original post nothing unless in drive. left turn signal or flashers caused engine stutter/ transmission slipping feeling... traced out all grounds - fine... then thought about towing lights being a source and noticed that the left rear reverse light wasn't coming on when tracing them out. checked bulb and in taking it out the reverse/ fast blink problem went away. bulb was fine. reinstalled and no more problem. everything back to normal... very very weird.

Just had a similar problem start with my 2001 4 door prerunner. Signalling either way sometimes makes it act like it's in neutral as well as when I press the brake pedal it goes into neutral(if I'm going down hill and in 2 to use the engine braking and I add some brake it goes into "neutral"). I have a mil light code that says "park/neutral switch malfunction". I've already unhooked my trailer light harness but sounds like I may need to better clean the stock connection. Still not sure how this relates to anything with the trans. Also occasionally when I press the brakes and the lights are turned off, all of the interior lights will come on. Any educated input is appreciated.