Temporary Fix for Broken Heater

Asked by Nov 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM about the 2004 Toyota Camry

Hi!  Just need some advice on whether I can get through a cold Toronto winter with a broken heater in the car.  I have been researching portable units on amazon and it seems like the ones that hook up to the battery work better than the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter, however both have limitations.  Thought that if I parked in the garage, got some seat warmers and one of these heaters I just might get through 1 more winter...thoughts?  How difficult is it to hook the heater to the battery (I am completely inept mechanically, fyi)  :)

64,475

The heater,s are about the same,as for as heat wise,they don,t do much,but break the chill,and will run the battery down with car not running,as far as hooking it directly to battery,you can get the cig ligther,hook up for it all so,but may i ask what is the problem with your car,s heat?

Those electric 'space heaters' draw a lot of power, and if they plug in to cig lighter there is not enough power available to heat a bird-house. IMO electric heaters are a total waste of money, even hooked up to battery..in a hybrid they use them in the heater core and in dash to help defrost, but must draw power from the huge supply that also is what powers the car. An '04 Camry should not even have this problem, but that's not the issue here.. But Toronto...? Oh wow, I have been there. In Jan. If finances are really tight, as they seem to be, save what you would spend on an electric heater. Waste. If you can't get the heater fixed, (what's wrong with is anyway??) No blower or no heat from blower? Garage it, get a goose-down jacket, and gloves.

Hi Mark...posting at same time

64,475

Hello ,fordnut,,yes i agree,these heater,s are a waste of money,may be used to defrost the window is about all.

Thanks all! As I understand it, the problem is either the heater core or the the box that surrounds it, but they won't know until they open up the car and test it. They said the part is 2Kand the labour is 1K. Soooo, I may just park it for now and use it in the summer.