What causes check engine and VSC lights to come on?

Asked by Jun 03, 2013 at 12:04 PM about the 2005 Toyota Highlander

what causes vsc+check engine light to come on together

190,825

Have the codes scanned at a local auto parts store to pinpoint the problem. Post the code back here and we can help.

I went to the local Auto Zone in town and they helped with the check engine light but said their scan was not sophisticated enough to scan for the Vsc light. At any rate they provided PO446,Po455 and PO441. The probable causes were listed anywhere from loose gas cap to evaporative emission system, evap.canister or hose not connected , vacuum leak at engine,purse or solenoid defective and oh, yes, vacuum leak at engine.. I don't think I can handle all of that, for sure. Before I posted my question I had reset the check engine light, it blinked =, went off, Great, but when I started the car again, it shone brightly along with the light.VSC, I hate to have to bring this to a mechanic as I always feel when one sees an older woman , I don't know if I'm getting a fair shake. BTW, thank you so much for your prompt response.

190,825

All those codes are related to a EVAP and or vacuum leak. Try the cheapest fix and purchase a new gas cap and see if the light goes out in a day or 2.

Kchall
1,080

My mom also has a 2005 highlander. She had the same problem with these two lights (vcs & check engine) and when she took it in it was just that the throttle fuse needed to be replaced & they tightened the battery cables. The Toyota deal ship didn't even charge for doing this.

Trdguin
760

I had Autozone scan mine and code p0505 came u

Stillsearching
1,640

I went to Auto Zone as well. With the VSC, engine, and loss of traction lights all staying on. They got a code. Advised to change accelerator pedal assembly. Did that all lights went off, until I went through a water puddle. (Which is how this problem started.) Now all the lights are back on and Im out 150 dollars. Could it be the tire sensors?

notacarguru
440

Not sure how old this thread is, but I have to thank all the posters - i went and checked my 2007 highlander's gas cap, and sure enough, it wasn't screwed on. Filled up in NJ over the weekend, and the attendant was so rushed he did not screw it on at all.

Dime Piece Thomas
410

Code 120

Wendy Tucker
2,850

I too had my 2007 sienna VSC and check engine and TRAC lights come on today and remained on tried a few of your suggestions..some worled for a moment but then the lights came back on..What could it be?? Dont want to spend a fortune trying to figure out the problem then pay to fix it!

Joel Cruz
270

MI TOYOTA RAV4 2009 ENCENDIO LA LUZ VSC, AL APAGAR EL MOTOR TAMBIEN SE APAGABA LA LUZ VSC LA LLEVE AL MECANICO RESETEARON EL SENSOR DEL GUIA Y NO HA ENCENDIDO MAS LA LUZ VSC

Science2501
710

My last 5 cars have been Toyota and have never had a problem other than the normal issues (Batteries, brake pads, etc.). On the way to work this AM my Engine, VSC, and TRAC lights all came on. Everything was running fine, I stopped and turned it off, checked all the belts, everything was fine. I then checked the oil... it was "just" touching the bottom of the dipstick (about a quart and a half low I'm guessing). I went home, put a quart in, and the lights went off. BTW, I'm driving a 2004 Toyota Highlander with 180k miles, it runs like new and still looks new. I'm sure, just like anything, you can find a bad car (Toyota) once in a while but overall, in my experience, you cannot find a better car on the road (as far as dependability).

Momech Technician
430

by replacing the manifold

Momech Technician
430

the mass airflow sensor / intake air temperature sensor or one in the same this code will

toyo1234
535

I had all 3 lights turn on at once. After reading this blog I put some 3-in-1 oil on the gas cap gasket. Restarted the car and the check engine, VSC and TRAC lights all went out. I checked the engine with my OBD tool and had no codes. So because your gap is not seating correctly your Stability Control and traction control turns off so you can skid right off the highway. Make sense to me?!?

Shrksgrl8
750

I had a full 120,000 mile tune up. Two weeks later the VSC, Check Engine and TRAC Off lights came on. Now I hear a "chirp" every time I start the car when it is cold. The mechanic I went to no longer has the shop and I'm at a loss of what the next step should be. I hate that I will have to pay someone AGAIN to correct an issue that resulted from the tune up!

Liam Kennedy
210

Just had $500 of work done at a local pep-boys on my Toyota 4- Runner.. and the next day both the check engine and vtrac lights come on. Although I knew check-engine can be because of the gas cap being off - I just did not think there was any reason for it to be off. Turns out that was it. I can't think of any legitimate reason why pep boys needed to unscrew the cap. Maybe they wanted me to come back in and "fix something"?

SIdd
1,570

I spoke to couple of ppl, they said VSC and engine light comes on when there is a fluid imbalance or some sensor got disturbed. I found out that while going downhill and driving continuous more than hour cause the VSC and engine light to come on. I went to show the pepboys, I told them you guys checked everything and the next day the lights come on. he gave me some reasons why they are coming on and remove those lights. It is been 3 months I have been driving and nothing comes on because I don't drive more than an hour continuous and downhill comes once in a while on long drives out of state.

DINOKOS
170

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY DAUGHTERS 2007 SOLARA. BUT I SHOW A CODE PO354 WHICH IS A #4 IGNITER, I CONFIRMED THIS BY PULLING OFF THE CONNECTOR AND THE ENGINE WAS STILL RUNNING ROUGH. BUT I BELIEVE WHEN YOU HAVE AN ENGINE CODE IT WILL AFFECT THE TRAC AND VSC BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS NOT OPERATING AT PEAK PERFORMANCE AND THE VSC AND TRAC CONTROL ENGINE POWER WHEN IT IS NEEDED.

choice01
80

I had a similar problem with a Tarago, my dealer said it was because we had used the wrong oil and the engine needed a complete reflush which would cost $8000!!! Took to another mechanic who replaced oil and solved problem initially, but then it returned. Car not used for 18 months, on restart have had numerous problems. Maybe the reflush will fix it, but not willing to pay $8k

Toy2007
360

2007 highlander check engine light and VSC have illuminated twice. Both times it was the gas cap not getting screwed on past the "one click" you should hear. (darn kids!) I screwed the cap past the one click, but that does not make the dash light disappear. To make the dash lights disappear and reset, I disconnected the battery for 5 seconds. Presto, all is well.

Mayberry_gal
50

Went to Autozone today, and even though the website and the ad on the door indicates that they will read the error codes they refused. Autozone said they will no longer read codes in California

TexToyota
390

Same issue: Engine check light + VSC + Trac Off on 2006 Toyota Sienna. So I put a little Vaseline on the gas cap O-Ring and presto, no more warning lights. Thanks everyone.

bbailey98
230

My son told me to make sure that the gas cap was on tightly and then disconnect the battery cable. Count to 30 and reconnect the cable. That did it! However once you do that you will have to reset the automatic window switches so the windows open and close properly!

DeeDee44
180

Engine check light+VSC+Trac Off on 2006 Lexus IS250. Call Lexus Dealership @ 8:30 am, no return call. But I have followed advice and open gas cap and re-tighten and lights went off. Thanks all you the information.

Concise Concise
660

I have a 2005 toyota sienna VSC & Engine light on and it won't reset. I replaced the Rack & Pinion , bled out the air ,did a zero calibration and still the VSC light stays on... Any ideas?

SIdd
1,570

I went to the car shop, he reset the computer , VSC and engine light went off. If you think your car is running well do it otherwise it might needed a fix. I guess Sienna computer is very sensitive as I see sometimes tire pressure light comes on and after I stop the car and later it went off

tazman13
140

Similar issue: Engine Check+VSC+TRAC OFF icons all lit on 2004 Toyota Avalon. Sprayed WD-40 on gas cap seal and tightened cap until the "one click" position; however, icons remained lit until I disconnected the battery cable for a few seconds. NOTE: If you have a memory saver device be sure to install before disconnecting the battery cable, otherwise you'll have to reset all of your settings. Still, it sure beats having to take your vehicle in to the dealer for a fix. Thanks to all that posted on this blog!

JustinJ2001
260

I had these same lights all come on and brought my Toyota Highlander to a local dealer instead of a Toyota dealership. When they ran diagnostic they said my battery was bad and that my O2 sensor needed replaced. So I obliged. The light went off until the next day and came back on. I took it back and they said thebother O2 sensor went bad... I paid for that thinking of coincidence. Now not even a day later the lights came back on... I checked the gas cap but didn't try any lubricant methods... Did I just get taken advantage of??

SIdd
1,570

Yeah no worth going to fix that VSC and engine light, if you usually drive local and avoid more than 2 hour continuous driving don't bother going to mechanic.

JustinJ2001
260

Thanks for your prompt response

IMD
870

I have had the VSC and engine lights come on almost after all oil changes on a 2003 Highlander Limited 6 CYL AWD. It has only 74K miles on it, is garage kept and entirely dealer maintained. The first time it happened, it cost me $500. to replace the sensor. The second time it happened, was way too much of a coincidence...just two or three days after the oil change...this time I balked and told them it was something THEY did. They argued, I won, this time they found the loose hose. Next time, after change of oil and filters, VSC and Engine lights come on again. So I took it back and they tightened the hose. Lights went out. I had the oil and filters changed about 10 days ago...same thing. But the difference was, the was a lot of ice and snow so I had the car washed. It seems that a combination of getting that sensor wet either in a puddle or getting the car washed CAN make the lights go on ... but all I did this time was tighten the gas cap (as I have done before) and it went out. It is a marvelous vehicle, it just has that little oddity.

IMD
870

In reply to someone above, if the 02 code comes up it means it is a sensor but it could have water or mud on it. Don't replace a darned thing. It could even mean loose battery cables. Just get it warm and dry and tighten the cap or REPLACE the cap, they do wear. I bought my car new and believe me it is well kept. It is just a glitch.

Lisa Naomi Stansbury
120

Need some help. About two weeks ago check engine light and traction control light came on. Took to shop. They told me it was the vacuum canister and they could order the new part after replacing the gas cap. I was going to take it in this Thursday to get the vacuum canister replaced. Guess what, today those lights are gone, everything appears back to normal. What should I do next? I called the lady I am working with at the dealership to see what her thoughts are. Please don't tell me they are still going to want to replace a vacuum canister with no codes.

notacarguru
440

Lisa, might be you just needed the gas cap. I'm no expert, but wait on the vacuum canister?

IMD
870

When you lose pressure in your gas tank, it generally takes around 200 miles after you fix the gas cap issue. Once the pressure in the tank is restored, the errant lights go out. I wouldn't do a thing if I were you, just make sure that gas cap is always a few turns past what the attendants usually do.

IMD
870

Lisa; when I said it generally takes 200 miles...I shouldn't have said that...I should have said after you've tightened the cap, it takes under 200 miles. If it goes over 200 miles and the lights stay on, then it is time to go to the mechanic (I use the dealer). This started happening about 5 years or more ago. When the gas cap was replaced, the issue stopped. It seems that the gas cap ring wears down rather quickly. I had it replaced and it didn't happen again for a few years, and now I have to stand over the gas attendants once again. So I will have the gas cap replaced. In NJ you aren't allowed to pump your own gas, so it is a tense moment every time the tank is filled. It seems they have fixed the issue with the latest cars. My husband has a 2013 and his gas cap doesn't even click.

adiyo22
430

gas cap was on tightly and then disconnect the battery cable. Count to 30 and reconnect the cable. That did it! However once you do that according to the answeres here l have to reset the automatic window switches so the windows open and close properly, right now windows do not open, any idea how i do that?

adiyo22
430

I have a 2004 toyota land cruiser gas cap was on tightly and then I disconnected the battery cable. Count to 30 and reconnect the cable. That did it However windows do not open properly (except for drivers window) according to the answers ehre i need to reset the automatic window switches so the windows open and close properly. any idea how I do that?

IMD
870

@adilyo22: Here, this will show you how to do it. Very easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we66pU0MN1M

adiyo22
430

@IMD: thank you very much! that worked!

IMD
870

@adiyo22 My pleasure.

Frumpy
190

2013 Toyota Highlander and my CHECK and TRACK OFF light came on. It seems like my car doesn't want to change gears and vibrates pretty good when I go above 40 MPH. I only have 27000 miles on the car too soon for issues in my opinion!

toyotagal12
100

My husband turned the car off, took the gas cap off entirely and started the car while the gas cap went off- the lights went off!

Gate68
240

I just had my alternator replaced by a friend. I knew it was bad. However, I believe he did not reconnect something back because the battery charged back up but the car jerks and stalls before going into gear. The check engine, VCS and off trac lights then came on today and it started whining and smoking. I believe there is a hose left unconnected or something. Any answers? I don't have it in my budget to take it to a shop.

sandip8280
210

Today I filled Gas and suddenly VSC ligjt get on, I tried to clean Gas Cap nut still light is on please suggest

Anupam Bhomia
460

I had the traction light, the VSC light, and the check engine light all come in at the same time....after reading this blog I tighten my gas cap....restarted the car engine, and the lights went right away

SIdd
1,570

I was on my way for a trip when I was going downhill and the VSC light comes up followed by the engine light. I was able to drive to my destination. I went to pepboys. They check the computer onboard which sent the 0 Error code that means there is nothing problematic and at the same time both the lights went off. I was glad. Then I started my trip back to home. Again there was a steep downhill and I was going 55 mph which was not fast on a 70 mph hwy and again going downhill these engine lights went ON. Any ideas?

essasser
120

My check engine light and VSC came on at the same time, I tightened my gas cap and all lights turned I have a 2007 Toyota camry.

init2winit
70

2005 Toyota Highlander (115,000 miles) with VSC + Trac + Engine light along with poor acceleration and power. Problem was with a knock sensor. Replaced one (of two) sensor and the harness and problem solved.

Shawntele Lewis
2,260

My check engine light is on and vsc light is too. I put my car in drive and my car barely even moves

Craig Bialy
520

I have had this issue from day 1 with my Toyota RAV. It has been a major pain from the day I bought it to the present. I have contact the dealership and the corporate offices and they are all very nice but these lights appears far too often. I do not like driving a car with three warning lights showing. I also will definitely not purchase another car from the dealership and probably not get another Toyota. The issues stated from Toyota are numerous, but not life threatening. The question is why should all of these lights come up for something minor? Toyota get your act together. I have been very disappointed with them.

Neil Tester
40

When I bought my 2004 Toyota solara that VSC + Trac + Engine lights were on,one of the things that had to be fixed before purchase,the other thing was my safety . Toyota dealer was responsible (was told that it was part of he emisions controller covered by Toyota up to 160000 km) the lights,was told it was a bad pollution sensor. Took a couple weeks to get fixed. Started by replacing one sensor -light still on-can't remember what they told me? In the end they ended up replacing all 3 sensors, and all three sections of the exhaust manifold off the engine. Been fine But my 3 lights are back. Happened after starting the car and belt slipping squealing noise normally after a couple revs the squealing noise goes away, which it did but 3 lights on> Just checked my gas cap , removed and put back on, but lights stay on. One think that I believe is correct is my gas cap only gets one quick click when tightening -I don't think its tight I though my cap used to get several clicks when tightening the gas cap?

fastwalkin
65

the gasket/o-ring on the gas cap will shrink/deform after several years...either replace the gasket/o-ring(about $8.00at the dealer) or replace gas cap(includes new gasket/o-ring) for aprox $28.00-$30.00.

Torontorian
30

I have Camry 2007 and my Engine Light (orange one) turns on. After googling, I first tightened the gas cap but found still ON. Then I disconnected one of the connector of my car's battery for 30 seconds, and it Turned OFF. I still did not drive my car afterward. Lets see how it goes.

brassman215
90

Hello, I just bought a 2004 Highlander limited and had the check engine, VAC, and Trac Off lights come on. Reading this thread I put some 3 in 1 oil around the gas cap o-ring and tightened the cap. I unplugged the ground side of the battery and waited 30 seconds before tightening it back down. Then I reset the automatic windows. So far, I've driven 100+ miles without the lights coming back on. Thanks to everyone who posted!!

Torontorian
30

Hi Brassman First of all congrats for buying highlander. Well, my car still not showing any engine light though i drove more than 500+ since then. But quite recently, I started feeling passenger side (front and back and now back of driver seat) floor wet. After researching found, when I used Vipers, the water was leaking down right below the passenger side body and part of it was being absorbed by floors. Got tech appointment tomorrow. lets see. was thinking might it was associated with the previous engine light warning. well, tech will the right person to comment upon.

IMD
870

Torontorian; I've had my 2003 Highlander Limited since it was born (LOL) and other than the little problem with the gas cap needing replacing every few years so that those lights do not come on...and one thing having rusted by a wheel...a sensor....I have had zero problems with it. The place in my garage in which it is kept has a natural spring that leaves a little water near that wheel all the time, so I could understand that. But what you are experiencing, maybe that car was hit and some of the seals were damaged. Either that or the seals have dried out. I know a lot more damage happens to cars that are kept outdoors. But I did change things that were still functioning perfectly just because of age; brakes, timing belt, battery, tires...all were still perfectly good...but wasn't going to wait to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

danyell_c1994
20

I have a 2007 toyota camry xle check engine light, traction light, and exclamation point and check vcs system indicator came on. i googled this website suggestions. i started with the easiest fix which was tighten my gas cap. this worked all the lights went out. I remembered i was rushed at the gas pump prior to the lights coming on . Evidently in my rush i didnt tighten the gas cap good. Hopefully this is helpful

Torontorian
30

Well, the same thing happened. Today I was having an appointment with a car guru and when I ignited, the engine light again turned on. This time I did not disconnect the battery connector and took to the mechanic and he using his computerized equipment found one of Oxygen switch needed to be replaced. Other than that he still could not figure out how my car's floor is getting wet. Got another appointment to fix both issues. Lets see how it goes in next meeting.

Yusof Mn
20

p2767 input/ turbine speed sensor B circuit no signal toyota wish 2010

Furqan
20

hi guys ..i got these light at the same time....it was just low engine oil level...i put quarter and lights gone

DINOKOS
170

HELLO EVERYONE, AS I TOLD YOU IN THE PAST ABOUT MY DAUGHTERS 2007 SOLARA WITH VSC AND TRAC LIGHTS,SOME PEOPLE MENTIONED GAS CAP, OR EVEN DISCONNECT BATTERY. BUT THOSE DIDNT WORK FOR ME. WHAT FINALLY FIXED THE PROBLEM WAS TO DO A ZERO POINT CALIBRATION VIA ANTI SKID BRAKE SYSTEM CHAPTER. BUT YOU CANT USE JUST AN ORDINARY OBD11 TESTER. MY FRIEND USED HIS SNAPON TESTER, WHICH COSTS ALOT OF $$$$, A REPUTABLE SHOP OR DEALER WILL HAVE THIS TESTER TO RECALIBRATE THE SENSORS.IT TOOK ALL OF 5 MINUTES TO RECALIBRATE SO DONT LET THE DEALER OR ANYONE ELSE CHARGE YOU MORE THAN AN HOURS LABOR! REMEMBER IF THE CHECK ENG LIGHT COMES ON IT WILL DEACTIVATE THE TRAC AND VSC SYSTEMS UNTIL YOU FIX THE PROBLEM THAT CAUSED THE CHECK ENG LITE. IN MY CASE I FIXED THE PROBLEM THAT CAUSED THE CEL TO COME ON BUT FOR SOME REASON IT DIDNT RESET THE VSC AND TRAC SYSTEM UNTIL WE PUT ON THE SNAPON TESTER/CALIBRATER TEST UNIT AND RECALIBRATED THE SYSTEM, I HOPE THIS HELPS, DINOKOS

WealthyBarberNC
50

I had the same issue on my 2005 4Ruunner after I got an oil change with the "high mileage oil changed" my truck started acting up. So I after I read a few of this posting feed, then I remember the oil change I recently had, so I went back to a different shop and I requested a new regular with oil change with the oil and gas treatment for around $65 and all lights when off the dash immediately. No more check Engine. VSC/TRA VSC OFF on this baby.

jmurphtheg
190

So this happened to me last week -- the check engine light VSC/TRAC off came on in my 2005 Rav4. I researched a little bit, replaced the gas cap, disconnected the battery for 30 seconds to reset everything, and all of the lights were gone. Then I drove it for about another 400 miles or so, and now all the lights have come back on. I am wondering what the problem is. The OBD codes I got from Autozone the first time (when I replaced the gas cap) were P2270, P2271, C1224, and P0136. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on? It puzzles me that the lights came back on so long after I replaced the gas cap.

Pat Dannenberg
30

I have a 2009 Toyota Sienna. All three lights come on after driving the van for a couple hours continuously. It also will start to decelerate and act like its sputtering until you can't go anywhere and the van will eventually shut off regardless if you have come to a stop. Sometimes the battery has enough juice sometimes not when this occurs. Pull the battery and put in a fully charged and maybe it's good to go again. Took it to O'Reillys and computer spat out a ton. Tested the alternator and it seemed OK. On a prior occasion Toyo dealership said it may be the clutch in alternator. Anyone seen this before?

TincanJoey
50

Thought you guys were pulling my leg. My wife's highlander started displaying the VSC+check engine+trac off lights shortly after having her 2006 Highlander serviced. I went out and unscrewed the gas cap and put it back on until I heard at least three "clicks" from turning the gas cap. I felt like a fool since I was sure this couldn't cause all these warning lights.....started up her Highlander & Tah Dah!!!!!! All the lights were gone. Thanks to all the posters here!!!!!

Nukken
30

Had same problem with vsc, ck eng, n trac off light. Luckily I tightened the gas cap n all lights turned off

Jvilla
20

I have 2003 Toyota for runner. THis morning the engine light and the VSC trac turned on. I was going kind of fast on the freway and then i slow down. Not sure why. However i will taking to the delaer to hav it check. Thnak you all for ypur answers. It help me alot. I arrived ti my destenation and I turn off the truck and the VSC light tunred off but the engine light still on.

vjjj
20

I have a lexus es 330 2005, my check engine, vsc and trac off ligghts came off. I replaced the cap and the lights went away. Now every now and then when I have low gas the lights come on again. When I tighten the cap the lights go away. Recently, check brake light came up also. We did not have any issues for the longest time. We recently got timing belt and brakes repalced. Could it be related to that?

CPE11
50

My VSC and Check Engine lights have been on for several days, too, and I just recently started hearing a resonating noise coming from the under carriage [exhaust system?]. Per recommendations posted above, I had the code scanned and it came up "p0136" with a definition of "(Bank 1) Rear oxygen sensor malfunction. Can these two issues be related?

RPL1972
10

I had all three lights come on in my FJ Cruiser while driving on the highway yesterday. After reading this, I lubricated the gas cap, and also recommend using some steel wool on the gas spout, where the gasket seats. Mine was corroded and rough. After doing this and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, good as new.

TincanJoey
50

Well the gas cap retightening worked for a while. But then it appeared again. Taking the gas cap off and putting it back on no longer worked. Gasket is in good condition but I lubed it with some plumber's lube anyway. Still no joy. Took it to a repair shop that friends work at. They had it for a day and informed me that my catalytic converter is going bad and therefore my emissions are just dirty enough now to set off the sensors and make this happen. I don't think he was trying to stiff me on an expensive repair since he said he doesn't do that type of work. He called to a muffler shop/facility he trusts and they will have to order and install. Initial cost for parts is about $560 (they use aftermarket parts). He also informed me that if I'd lived in California I couldn't wait until next pay-period for the repairs. I would have been required by law to take it there immediately to get it fixed. Glad I live elsewhere.

stevekachal
20

I have a Toyota Highlander 2006 and last week all 3 lights ( VSC, TRAC OFF and check engine ) came on after going to Yosemite park. They all came on the third day of camping in the morning after I started the car. I checked the manual and it said VSC and TRAC OFF always come on together and no problem with driving the car. When I came home I disconnected the battery and reconnected and the alarms were clear. I think when driving the uphill and downhill a lot or on the bumpy or winding road this happens. It is no big deal and you should not spend a lot of money for this unless it keeps happening and one honest Mechanic check the code and tells you otherwise.

LuckyInDayton
10

I have a 2010 Vibe (Matrix). All 3 lights came on so I took it to my car shop, he did something to fix it and said if they come back on again change the gas cap. Lights problem returned today, read the blog and did the following: oil check (OK), disconnected the battery positive, reconnected, lights off now. Lubed the gas cap too since it was mentioned. Ran the battery for 10 minutes and it died today, so perhaps I need a new battery too. Thanks for the suggestions. Wonder if other brands have the same problem.

tallcook
0

We had the VSC Trac / Engine Light combo come on as it did a few years ago on our 2003 Toyota Camry XLE. We remembered there as an easy fix but couldn't remember what it was (we're 'aging'). I read the above comments, checked the gas cap and then decided to look at the engine (don't know why as I know 0 about cars). When I went to release the hood I saw the VSC 'button" and I pushed it. Started the car and the check engine and VSC light didn't come on. I'm a yenius (sic) and you can be too. If it comes on later I'll deny this post. Good luck!

LuckyInDayton
10

Very interesting. I had a new cap, that didn't work, actually 2 new caps. Had the whole system checked and no leak. I did push the VSC button while driving before and that did nothing. Lights are off now, if they come back on I will try your sequence. Thanks,

My check engine, VSC & TRAC lights have been coming on, resulting in a slight 'jerk' when taking off, or, almost no acceleration at all and after a second or two, it comes back and takes off. Took it to our dealer this AM and they scanned it and 'reset the code.' Said try this and if that didn't resolve it, could be one of three things: 1) bad sensor, 2) squirrels chewing on wiring, or 3) a problem in the transaxle / transmission. Since then, I've tried lubing the gas cap & tightening it. No change. So now I'm researching what to do. Thoughts??

tallcook
0

I apologize for not reporting back. We took the car to the dealer who told us the engine control monitor needed to be replaced for about $1500 total. We ordered the part and Toyota corporate came back and required the dealer to run some tests to make sure there wasn't something else wrong with the engine that would "fry" the replacement monitor. That was done and now we're waiting for the monitor to arrive. They said it was OK to drive in the interim. As indicated previously I have no mechanical aptitude or experience. No recommendations here - just reporting what has happened to us.

LuckyInDayton
10

Here is the latest: I changed the gas cap on the Vibe with a dealer version, reset the lights but they came back on in three days. Mechanic ran a smoke test and found no leaks. This was about two-three weeks ago. On Monday of this week the lights went out and have not come back on. The parts lady where I bought the cap said it may take 20-30 starts to get the lights to go off, and I am thinking that is what happened. So, as of now, I spent $26 on a new gas cap from the dealer and the lights are off. Made me happy. I hope you try the gas cap and allow time to reset before spending $1500 and finding out it doesn't fix the problem. Maybe run the smoke test and see if there is a leak in the part they are saying is the problem. No leaking smoke then that is probably not the real cause. Good luck.

Toyotamadesimple
0

Same thing happened to me today driving down the highway in my 2002 Toyota 4runner and all the lights came on ....noticed someone took my gas cap so went out and got one before work and still all lights were on ....once I got to work I grabbed my gear and reset the computer by taking off the battery terminals and cleaning it up and sure as shit it worked all lights out .....also put some oil in the beast ......

Shilin Ye
0

Thank you guys! My 2006 4 runner also had the same issue. By replacing the fuel cap it solved my problem and the lights were off after about 100 miles.

ondeckdean
70

Not sure if anyone has posted this but start by tightening the gas cap. I have run into the oil change VSC/check engine situation multiple times. Invariably, they take the air filter assembly off and in doing so disconnect the vaccuum hose off the line it attaches to just behind the air filter hosing. It's relatively straightforward to return to it's appropriate position but there is little room to get your hands in the space they need to be to reconnect it. The VSC/check engine lights will not go off just by doing either and need to be reset either profe$$ionally or by disconnecting the battery (that however, requires resetting your clock and radio stations (not that big a deal) or removing the 20amp fuse in the panel under the hood. No telling how much money these places have made when they shouldn't have been charging people for new parts and such. Toyota should have supplied a much longer hose so that it wouldn't need to be disconnected when checking t he air filter (a common overpriced upsell that isn't typically necessary). See attached photo to ID the EFI fuse that needs to be removed momentarily and replaced to reset the VSC/check engine lights. I have found a hemostat works extremely well for the fuse removal and reinstall.

Laurie Gibson-Sims
10

I had 3 dash lights on, Check Engine, Trac OFF & Vac Trac. I researched this online and tried the first and easiest solution recommended which was to be sure the gas cap was secured. The lights came on not long after I put gas in the car so after reading this, I figured I didn't get the gas cap secured. Someone also mentioned running through a puddle and we have had a lot of rain recently. After I secured the gas cap, the lights went off within 2 days and are still off about 4 days later. Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm sure you all saved me a bundle!

gaetarick
10

2009 Lexus IS 250 - Same problem ... a little bit of oil in the gas cap seal ring/gasket - tightened it up real good AND also disconnected the battery for about 30 seconds and reconnected it and *POOF* both lights are off Thanks everybody. Thanks everyone ...

ondeckdean
70

After some professional assistance and over $100 in a part, my new oxygen sensor has my light out. I have 160,000 miles on my V6 Highlander.

enchant
0

2005 Toyota Sienna - Same thing happened fairly soon after an oil changed. Reseating gas cap didn't help. Disconnected and reconnected battery cable and that took car of it. (At least for now.)

SIdd
1,570

well i had to admit I was not aware of of Sensors or Catalytic convertors. I googled on and on. Basically you cant pass emissions if Catalytic converter is not ready. When my CEL and VSC showed up as Usual I reset the codes not knowing that I will be doing emissions in a month. Now all the monitors are ready except the Catalyst monitor. Now.. Every car has a drive cycle which includes certain driving conditions to be met in order to start that monitor for testing. All my monitors are started except Catalytic converter. For that I will be driving to complete those drive cycles. Contact your dealer or get a manual to see your drive cycle and you can do emission.

mikiale
0

what do you mean the VSC ,the light go on after that the engine not start the vsc became blinking what the cause ?

shstock
0

I had the engine and trac off light on last night. my car is four years old and only 12 kmiles and I just had the car maintenance in the dealer 2 month ago. I found that the dipstick did not fully plug in (what maintenance). I push it in fully. and reset the computer. the trac off light was gone but the engine light stayed on. in the morning, I tried again, the engine light light gone. I wonder if I went to the dealer, how much it will cost?

Nate Simpson
0

Read these all, pulled over check cap, problem fixed 09 corrlal

Clarence Harris
0

Vsc and Trac off and check engine light on I have code po456

ScottJohnson
0

Thank you for the great help. I've got a 2006 Sienna and the Check Engine, VCS, and TRAC OFF lights all came on. As advised here, I took off the gas cap, put 3in1 oil on the seal, removed battery cables from posts, re-attached battery cables, and now the lights are off. Haven't driven it yet - hopefully they'll stay off.

2005wifeyavalon
0

I dont have a answer but i have a question i changed my battery on my 2005 avalon and the vsc and check engine lights came on and now my car dont wanna go past 2 rpm's did any of you guys car do this?cause im not able to go past 10 miles..smh..help help help

Tx2Colo
0

I had a similar problem last year when I was driving my 2005 Highlander Hybrid to Colorado from South Texas. Check engine light started to flash, then came on steadily. I know about the gas cap issue as well as windshield washer fluid so checked those. Had no real choice but to drive on (1,000 mile trip) as the car was fully loaded including my bird. Once at altitude in the mountains, light went out. Had oil changed, all was fine until I went to New Mexico on the way home and once I descended in altitude the light went back on. Codes at Jiffy Lube and dealership indicated that all cylinders were misfiring. They weren't and gas mileage was fine. No rough ride at all. Dealership diagnosed it as a tank of bad gas and charged me $700 to flush. Felt ripped off but light went out. Now of course on trip back up to the mountains this summer it came back on. No rough ride but light on steadily at altitude this time. Very frustrated with this as there don't seem to be good answers except to get rid of the car.

SIdd
1,570

guys do yourself a favor and buy this https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Wireless-Diagnostic- Scanner-Adapter/dp/B00DYOVXZ0 Also buy the app from App store for $10. that will make your life easier to diagnose yourself.

SIdd
1,570

here are the steps I did when I got P0420 and VSC light. Step 1) Do not erase the codes and plug off your battery. Step 2) Buy Wifi OBD2 meter and check for mileage, left and right trims. if the readings are ok then move to step 3 Step3) Use catalytic converter cleaner from auto zone. use it three times as recommended. if the lights still on then take it to mechanic. Step 4) Ask mechanic to do an full inspection for which will cost $20. if he says everything is ok then great. ask him to check exhaust leaks, head gasket and related items. I changed my head gasket. it cost me $800. Step 5) Replace your gas cap (amazon) Step 6) if lights are still on then use sea foam cleaner through exhaust Step 7) erase your codes or plug off the battery and do a drive cycle. check manual for that. Drive cycles are easily available. Good luck