How to change cv joint

Asked by Mar 16, 2013 at 07:11 PM about the 1997 Honda CR-V

...well you are probably going to want the entire axle, with both CV joints and boots full of special molybednum impregnated grease all sealed for no mess, no fuss, else if you're intending to just replace one (the outside one) gets a little more complicated, but basically 1.) lift the car 2.) remove the wheel 3) remove the connection at the base of the axle assembly (this usually involves removing a lower ball joint) 4) remove the steering ball joint which involves removing the nut to the end of the threads to protect them while you take out your ball-peen hammer to release the taper press fit holding this link on. Hammer at about a thirty degree angle to cause the taper to let the pin go. Remove the axle nut (33 mm- I believe) 5.) with a pull, the side will pull out of the axle, leaving you dangling by the macpherson strut. 6.) POP the axle free of the differential case with a tapered pry bar. there will be a small wire retaining clip holding the shaft in. be sure it is still there and comes with the shaft, 'cause we don't want that piece of metal rollin' around inside the differential, playin' hell with the gears. axle should be free at both ends....replace wholesale. Rebulit axles are gonna be cheaper than new and you won't have to toil with the grease and the clamping and sealin' it up with grease always gettin' in the way. if you need further definition mail bob_nueske, thanks~

50

What is the rubber in the center of the velocity joint? is it needed? mine is loose and causing noise when running. please help. thanks

See Chris...you've answered your own question...it is noisy and would have the noise cancelling beneficial effect...also you don't want but a little clearance so when flexed the displaced area can simply "squish" and keep the same geometry...I changed my name from bob_nueske (the bacon guru from Wisconsin) to judge_roy (in honor of walter brennan)~