wheels

65

Asked by Mar 05, 2009 at 11:24 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet Camaro

hey guys, i'm new to the club and i was hoping i might find a little help.  I've got a 1979 camaro Z28 and i want to get wider wheels. i really love the Z28 wheels that are on it now but i can't find a replica in a 15 X 10!

does anyone know where i can find a replica? OR
is anyone familiar with Weldcraft Wheels, a wheel widening shop in Michigan?

please help! thanks

155

There is not a Z28 replica wheel made in a 15x10 the widest wheel available is a 15x8. Why not buy a set of aftermarket wheels, such as the weld draglite. I have a 1974 Chevelle and they look amazing, but they're a little pricey. I am not familiar with any wheel widening shops in Michigan ,however.

65

That's what i was afraid of. i've looked at tons of wheels from american racing, weld wheels, all the major muscle guys, but i haven't found anything i like. i'm thinking of just widening the wheels i have now but i'm not sure how comfortable i am with it since they don't stand behind their work...

85

check out wheel vintiques web site that may help you might have to go to 16 0r 17 inch wheels in the same style

65

Nothing there either. i actually called the company and spoke with a sales rep. they have nothing in that style and don't know where to find it. how disappointing.

7,275

have you tried boyd coddington wheels?

75

Just a suggestion, even though widening the wheel sounds like a good idea, it requires that the rim lip be cut and an extra 2" of metal added to the wheel. The problem with doing this is that it degrades the strength of the wheel because it is no longer one solid piece. I would recommend finding a nice set of rims that you like and using those. Try stepping up to a 16 or 17" rim, I would take a look at SummitRacing.com, I have found that they have a good selection of rims and pretty good customer service. They may be able to help you find what you are looking for.

5

Hey I don't know the company you are talking about but years ago I had a set of aluminum wheels widened buy a company up here in Canada. For drive ability they were great no shake nothing. So for experience on widening rims I had a good one. I also know a few people that have done it and never heard a complaint. hope this helps.

65

thanks, frank. it really helps to hear it from someone with experience in the matter. what kind of car did you have the wheels widened on, and how hard do you drive it?

65

that has been my whole issue with the project since the beginning, i just like the 15's though. i've already picked out tires too. 315/60R15 mickey thompson et street radials! i'm thinking of doing the Torq Thrust originals though, it's a forged two peice wheel and they can be custom built too, which makes my life easier!