What is the probability that an engine knock is a loose rod?

35

Asked by Apr 13, 2008 at 01:15 PM about the 1977 Chevrolet Camaro

The engine in this car is only 13 months old. It has only been driven to car shows last summer and has sat in the garage for the past 7 or so month until just about two weeks ago. We took it to the first car event last week end and it started this knocking noise. I am hoping it is not a rod obviously but how can I can check without taking the pan off? It would not be easy to do. We do have another engine but I don't want to go thru this again so soon. Any suggestions?

40,315

Sounds like something wasn't properly torqued in the new engine or maybe has worked loose. You could do a compression test maybe, but even that's not going to tell you about the knock if it's not causing a problem.

45

a knock is normally the piston not clearing the cylinder head so i would take its apart and check it because if you dont you will destroy the motor very quickly.

45

could be a loos rod that could be reajusted. but it could be that you need to replce them try c.d 2 moter oil for taps or rods it could stop the noise. use a waterhose about 2 feet long put one end to the valvecover and the other end to your ear get the idea

165

It probably is the rod "loose" but youre into a motor rebuild either way. There is no adjusting them, if its loose its junk. Plan on tearing the oil pan off the motor and physically looking at all the parts. If you take off the main caps and the bearings are copper colored, theryre junk. any movement in the assembly means its junk. Then you have to figure out why. Could be a faulty oil pump, could be they were intsalled wrong, could be they were faulty parts, could be the motor wasnt allowed to break-in properly and if its a new motor and break-in oil isnt used then you will have problems. Also, what oil are you using have you changed it within 3000 miles, what kind of oil are you using