Shut engine off experianced run on, starts and runs a few seconds then wont start at all

Asked by Sep 08, 2014 at 09:12 AM about the 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle

I have a 1967 Chevy Chevelle with a Merlin big block Chevy motor. I was driving to a car show pulled in a parking lot shut the motor off and I had run on culminated by spoke through Carb. I wouldnt start after so I towed it home. I cleaned plugs and changed coil it starts and runs a few seconds dies and wont even fire untill the next day? I have fuel it has MSD spark box. Do you have any ideas??

35,595

Can you check the MSD box to see if it's working properly?

I dont know how to check it, I guess if I start it and it fails again I can check and see if there is spark

35,595

Or just pull a plug and ground it good to see if you have spark.

257,385

For the run on engine.."If you are running an MSD box, you need to install the Diode that should have been included in the kit. It goes inline between the box and the coil. The capacitance of the box may continue feeding the coil after the power is cut. The diode allows voltage in only one direction so it will block any backfeed after you shut down." Not sure why you can't start it again. Rebuild the carb recently? How old is the fuel?

I dont see a diode, however it has ran good for 3 years. I thought about the carb because it backfired through the carb before it shut down. I think there are some blowout valves in a Holley 4100 Thanks

75

To me sounds like carb.flote needle is leaking past and would cause the smoke from carb. After turning it off .

75

That leaking needle seat then would cause a flooding condition making it hard to start