1966 Chevelle won't even try to fire up. It has a new alternator/battery and wiring system. It would start up, until the gas tank was replaced with a new sending unit. Do you have any ideas?

Asked by Dec 01, 2012 at 10:48 AM about the 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle

18,225

it's a very simple vehicle, IF you battery is good then it's either your connections or the starter itself.

465

LIKE ANDREW SAID, " IT'S A SIMPLE VEHICLE" NO SMOG, NO ELECTRONIC ANYTHING. YOU SAY IT WON'T EVEN TRY TO FIRE UP. DOES IT CRANK?? OR WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY YOU GET NOTHING, NO RESPONSE AT ALL? NOTHING = YOU'RE NOT GETTING JUICE TO STARTER. IT CRANKS BUT DOESN'T START=NO JUICE TO SPARK PLUGS. CHECK ALL WIRES & CONNECTIONS AT STARTER, ARE THEY HOOKED UP CORRECTLY? CHECK COIL WIRE AT BOTH THE COIL & AT THE DISTIBUTOR. IF THIS ONE WIRE IS NOT WORKING YOU'LL HAVE NO JUICE GOING TO THE SPARK PLUGS. IT'LL CRANK BUT NOT FIRE. {START}. I TELL EVERYBODY THIS. ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE SIMPLEST & STUPIDEST THINGS FIRST, THAT'S USUALLY WHERE THE PROBLEM IS.

175

I have a 1965 Impala, starter would draw current (amps) but engine would not turn over. Starter was not hooked up correctly, with all new wiring that is most likely the problem.