Crack in hose on 1995 Toyota Camry

10

Asked by Sep 25, 2017 at 03:59 PM about the 1995 Toyota Camry

I want to know if a crack in the big hose on my
engine can make the car die when putting it in
gear/sputtering and losing power up hills?

20

The biggest hose under the hood is normally what transports antifreeze / coolant from your engine to your radiator. This handles keeping the engine cool. If your car is stalling when starting up while cool (after a day of sitting for example) the crack in that hose has nothing to do with your problem. However, if there is a crack in a vacuum hose (typically smaller hose) then it could be causing your problem. I would guess you likely have an issue with fuel delivery (dirty fuel filter, bad fuel pump leading to low fuel pressure) or spark delivery (bad plugs / wires, incorrect spark plug gap, cracked spark plug insulators, etc.)

10

Hi thanks for your response. I recently purchased this car from someone and it was running perfectly fine until a couple days ago. We were on a slight incline at a stop sign and gave the car gas and it died. After getting the car off the road I noticed a crack in that big hose.. The car still cranked and ran fine at idle. We duct taped the hose and got the car home but it acting funny especially up hills.

10

Also a bit of smoke came from the crack.

10

The car cranks right up. No problem just acting weird and just paranoid that it might die going down the road. I had another car do that to me earlier this year :/

20

If you are on a tight budget, AutoZone or Advance Auto will check you cars computer (ECM) for free and that may shed light onto what is wrong. I would for sure start there. Respond with their findings are unable to remedy. Good luck!

10

Thank you but too be honest in the condition its in I'm not sure if I can make to auto zone in the car in its current condition. All I know to do is replace the big hose that hooks up to what I guess is the throttle body.

10

P.s. no check engine light so far. I will post back with what I find out.

10

Okay so I replaced the Air intake hose. The cars performance improved but it still wasn't normal so I also replaced all spark plugs. Again it seems like the performance improved but it is still hesitating that starts about 15 or 20 minutes of driving. It has never over heated. The coolant resovoir does bubble some after turning the car off but it done that before all this began. Today after driving it some and parked it, noticed a bit of steam coming from around the coolant resovoir and some water coming from the hose on top. I have a few more cheap things I can try and replace. But I still would like any advice I can get. There is no check engine light on and the temperatures gauge is reading normal.