My car is shaking and not accelerating well.

30

Asked by Aug 16, 2015 at 10:30 PM about the 1995 Toyota Camry

I have a toyota camry '95. The mechanic
said the spark plugs were the problem. Got
new ones put in  and a new battery cable
connector and  all that for the power
shortage type problem. Anyways my car
shakes when I press on the gas.    It's worse
going up a hill or going up a high  road
period.  I have to press the gas pedal hard
and it will speed up slowly and go almost to
4 and half rpms.  If I take my foot off the
gas pedal for a second no shaking problem.
Can anyone tell me what the problem might
be?

10

buy a new one.

30

I can't buy a new one, I am broke. I just bought this one three weeks ago. It's not even done being paid for through my loan.

Here's your fries!! Hot off da grill :)

This is your car tryin' to git down and do the "Shimmy Shake Dance"!! Meep Meep!! Everybody ...get up off that sofa! We fixin' to do this dance! Errrybody get a chance...to do dat dance!! Hollar back Missy!!

30

Funny. But doesn't help.

Did you buy this "As Is" with No Warranty at a "Buy Here, Pay Here" place?? We need the facts, ma'am.

30

Nope purchased from a family friend.

Wow....Guess they don't like you too much, huh?

30

Ok..

30

Guess not. . Oh well

Well....hope you didn't pay too much for the car, all things considered. They probably didn't even tell you about any potential problems, did they? Talk to this family "friend" and see if they will help you fix this situation.

18,230

Check for a blown Electronic Throttle Control System ( ETCS ) fuse it is either in the fuse box under the hood or inside under drivers side dash. Fuse location should be on back side of fuse box cover . If fuse is blown replace it should be a 10 amp fuse. Once fuse is replaced remove negative terminal for 10 seconds then reinstall that will reset the computer.

65,055

Sounds like the engine is misfiring. Did the mechanic do a complete tune up or just replace the spark plugs? He should have replaced the spark plug wires, distributor cap, and distributor rotor along with the spark plugs. Or the spark plug boots and tested the ignition coils, depending on which engine you have. HTH. -Jim

30

Okay I will Check the fuse box

30

Paid 1300 for it. It was a friend of a family member so I'm on my own

30

No the mechanic was a friend he said it was the spark plugs. My dad put new ones in and a new fan belt or something like that. When I'm driving at 55mph it's fine but my gas is getting eaten up. I sure wish I was able to learn about cars in high school so I can fix all these things myself or no these problems. So yeah never got a tune up

30

He only put the new spark plugs in . No new wires or coils. If I could I would have posted a picture.

18,230

Google this ETCS fuse for a 1995 Toyota Camry and it will take you to sites that explains the symptoms that happens when this fuse is blown the same symptoms you are experiencing.

Is the CEL(Check Engine Light) on. Check this light with the engine running. If this light is on...we need to know what codes the vehicles computer has recorded.

30

Okay I'll look at that . And yes the check engine light came on, on Thursday and then Saturday it was gone before my dad did any work on it and hasn't been on since

65,055

Ok, since the check engine light came on there's a trouble code in the computer. If you don't have a scan too to get the trouble code, visit your local auto parts store and let them scan the computer. Most will do it for free. Even though the check engine light is now off the codes are still in there. I would still recommend a complete tune up. Especially if you don't know when the last time it was tuned up. HTH. -Jim

If there is an Auto Zone parts store near you they should be able to check for codes for free.

30

Does les schwab do it? That's the closet place to me. I'd have to wait till tomorrow though because I have to be to work at one.

Suggest you call them up first and give them Make, Model, Year of your vehicle.

30

Went to oreillys today. They say the codes or whatever are to old to read to know.

OK.......this is most likely a OBD I system. You need a scan tool that can connect to the diagnostic connector under the hood of this vehicle. This where a diagnostic procedure would start. Since we do not have this option unless you take the vehicle to a repair shop and spend $$$$$......I would suggest you speak to the teacher of the nearest high/vocational school that has a Auto Shop Program.... and see if they will help you out for free. Good Luck

1995 Lexus is OBDII compliant, a year before being mandatory

probably gotta change the valve cover gaskets, including the spark plug gaskets, and spark plugs... might as well do the wires and coils as well just for a completely done job. this happened to my sisters car, it would accelerate fine until she ran the AC. these cars are known to leak oil into the spark plug tube holes and itll only cause problems when the engine is under some type of load