Power window problem

Asked by Aug 06, 2010 at 10:56 PM about the 2001 Toyota Highlander

We recently discussed trading off our 2001 Toyota Highlander while sitting in the car.  Evidently, the car did not like that because since that day, the driver's side window will power down when you are not in the car.  It doesn't matter if the doors are locked or unlocked, and it doesn't do it when you are driving it, only when you are not in it, and only a couple of times a week.  I have seen it go down, but when I hit the power lock button on my remote, the window stopped going down.  Any suggestions?  Do I need a priest or a mechanic?

50

We have the EXACT same problem. Haven't found an answer yet.

60

My car is doing the same thing. Have you found an answer?

45

I was told & shown that if you turn the key & hold it in the driver's side door the window will go down, & if you turn it the other way it will go up. Maybe the up & down switch is messed up. Hope this helps you

40

Yep, same issue with me. I took apart the door to find that a piece of plastic, part of the lock mechanism, had broken which holds a metal rod to the door actuator. Now it free floats within the door panel. And if you slam the door just right it activates the opening of the door and lowers the window. Either replace the whole keylock mech, or I just zip tied the rod back in place.

10

Funny, I had this issue years ago and everyone thought I was crazy cause I would walk away from my car and hear the window go down as I'd walk into my house. We tried the above suggestions back then and they didn't work. I replaced my battery and I haven't had it happen since, it's been over 7 years since it's occurred. 2003 Highlander. Hope you fixed it by now, but replacing my battery solved that issue. :)